Genuflecting on two knees at Tridentine mass?

• Thread starter Thread starter Joanne_ca
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joanne_ca

I’ve started going to Tridentine mass and I’ve noticed they genuflect on two knees when passing in front of altar and at their pews. I grew up with the Latin mass and I can’t remember if this was the norm.I generally use one, but I want to do the right thing. Can a nyone help please?

:hmmm:Thanks

I go to the TLM and we must be a one knee crowd. I have only seen one young man on both knees everyone else is one…
Kathy

Generally the Tridentine era had people genuflect on two knees only when the Blessed Sacrament was exposed.

Deacon Ed

Deacon Ed:
Generally the Tridentine era had people genuflect on two knees only when the Blessed Sacrament was exposed.

Deacon Ed
That’s what I’ve seen at my parish, which has the Tridentine Mass.

If “to genuflect” is to “touch one knee to the floor or ground” wouldn’t “genuflecting on two knees” be called “kneeling”?

This is a genuine question…

40.png
Timidity:
If “to genuflect” is to “touch one knee to the floor or ground” wouldn’t “genuflecting on two knees” be called “kneeling”?

This is a genuine question…
Yes

Although I have seen in older unofficial documents this called a “double genuflection”. In newer documents explaining the proceedures for Eucharistic Adoration it simply says a “single genuflection” is all that is required.

My response echoes the others - we genuflect on one knee and only genuflect (both knees) when the blessed sacrament is exposed and at that part of the credo when “And was made flesh, by the Holy Ghost of the Virgin Mary: and was made man” and during the last Gospel at the words “And the Word was made flesh”

Thank you for your help, and yes the blessed sacrament was exposed and now that I think of it, I don’t think they were doing this at Sunday mass.

I was taught to double-genuflect at any time the Blessed Sacrament was exposed. I was taught that when the Blessed Sacrament was present within the tabernacle to single genuflect. This was done when crossing from one side of the church to the other, upon entering or leaving the sanctuary, upon leaving one’s place in church (if you hadn’t just done it because you just left the sanctuary), and upon first taking a place in church. During Mass, though, all attention was directed to the altar, not the tabernacle. Of course, if you weren’t physically able, you did what you could manage (for instance, I could sometimes only manage a bit of a curtsy if carrying a huge flower arrangement with a full vase).

Our parish wasn’t Tridentine, but I remember cleaning church taking quite a lot of genuflecting.

Deacon Ed:

Actually the practice of genuflecting on two knees, while in front of the Blessed Sacrament, is not just a Tridentine pratice, it only ended within the past 5 to 10 years. Although I and most in my parish still follow this practice. It’s not that we cannot do this, it’s just that we do not have to anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back