Get a Grip, Cry Baby!

• Thread starter Thread starter Augustine
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Augustine

This Lent I started praying the Rosary daily and I’ve been blessed above and beyond what would be just, i.e., zilch, but I have tried to be thankful to such a loving Father.

Since then, the frequency of going to Confession increased from twice a year to once or twice a month.

More recently, I started spiritual direction and attending daily Mass.

Over this period, I’ve noticed an increase in my piety, particularly when it comes to tears.

I think that it started at Consecration, then at Confession, during homilies, etc.

I was wondering if this is just a “cry-baby” phase or what? It doesn’t get so bad as to wet the cheeks, but I’m afraid that it gets bad enough to wet my eyes and possibly redden them.

Regardless, I’m thankful to the Lord Who blesses me with many favors, even if I’m too silly to take them with tears.

:blessyou:

Praise the Lord! I have had many experiences where I have shed many tears – literally CRIED – when I felt His presence, during mass (particularly during Communion), or simply when I had quieted myself down and contemplated how thankful I am to Him for his works in my life. Don’t worry about tears or red eyes! Let us pray for all Catholics around the world, and for all people - especially those who do not know Him yet - that they too may be blessed with His awesome and magnificent power, healing grace, and love!

May His spirit continue to bless you and fill you! 😃

40.png
Augustine:
I was wondering if this is just a “cry-baby” phase or what? It doesn’t get so bad as to wet the cheeks, but I’m afraid that it gets bad enough to wet my eyes and possibly redden them.

I believe that the more you open yourself up to His Spirit, and the closer you become to Him, the more you are aware of his magnificent power … hence, the tears!

So … I don’t think it’s a phase – it’s more of a manifestation of His spirit in your life. Amen to that!

May your faith continue to grow each day, and may His love radiate from your heart always. 🙂

40.png
Augustine:
This Lent I started praying the Rosary daily and I’ve been blessed above and beyond what would be just, i.e., zilch, but I have tried to be thankful to such a loving Father.

Since then, the frequency of going to Confession increased from twice a year to once or twice a month.

More recently, I started spiritual direction and attending daily Mass.

Over this period, I’ve noticed an increase in my piety, particularly when it comes to tears.

I think that it started at Consecration, then at Confession, during homilies, etc.

Regardless, I’m thankful to the Lord Who blesses me with many favors, even if I’m too silly to take them with tears.

You are Blessed! That is a conviction by the power of the Holy Spirit. It happens to me time to time!

Peace

. . . and one other thing, since I know you’re reading Brother Lawrence.

When God’s love is experienced in a very interior way as you discribe in your initial post, it’s not uncommon for that love to engulf the outer senses from time to time.

Because of this, Brother Lawrence often felt compelled to “moderate his outward appearences” when he felt the depth of God’s love swelling up in him lest other people notice. I believe St. Teresa said much the same thing.

Sounds like you’re in pretty good company!

Dave.

This happened to me quite often the first several weeks after my conversion. Now it doesn’t happen often, but that may change from time to time. I’m not concerned that it doesn’t happen as often, because I can see how my faith is transforming my whole life. But sometimes I look back on the early days, and think… wow, what an adventure THAT was! 😃

St. John Vianney had the gift of tears, especially when teaching the faithful about our Mother.

You are in good company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back