Getting back into the Church

• Thread starter Thread starter Jess410
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jess410

Hi everyone! I’m new here. I was baptized into the Catholic Church, but haven’t been to church probably since I was about 10 years old and I’m now 23. I’m making a lot of positive changes in my life and I would like to start learning more about Catholicism and attending church, but I’m not really sure where to start. How do I attend church after all these years? Do I just go or do I have to join? Sorry if that’s a stupid question, I’m just not sure how these things work. Also I see that there are so many different versions of the Bible, can someone let me know which one is the best for Catholics? Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much. 🙂

Welcome to the forums! Welcome back to the church!
How do I attend church after all these years?
Just start going to one. If you like the preist, go to confession with him. You can go the reconciliation time or call him for an appointment. He will be very understanding and helpful to you. He will be able to answer all of you questions too.

What exciting road you have in front of you!

welcome home. just check your nearest parish, call the priest for an appointment, and tell him what you have told us. take if from there. You can go to confession, take care of any problems that might keep you from the sacraments - irregular marriage etc., return to the Eucharist, and if necessary, attend formal classes to prepare for Confirmation. you can also find out about classes in your parish or diocese that interest you, such as on the Catechism, bible study etc.

40.png
Jess410:
Hi everyone! I’m new here. I was baptized into the Catholic Church, but haven’t been to church probably since I was about 10 years old and I’m now 23. I’m making a lot of positive changes in my life and I would like to start learning more about Catholicism and attending church, but I’m not really sure where to start. How do I attend church after all these years? Do I just go or do I have to join? Sorry if that’s a stupid question, I’m just not sure how these things work. Also I see that there are so many different versions of the Bible, can someone let me know which one is the best for Catholics? Any other advice would be appreciated. Thanks so much. 🙂
Go, go, go. I returned to the Church just recently after many more years away than you. The feeling of peace I feel is almost overwhelming. I was terrified to go to confession (reconciliation) so I made an appointment with the pastor of the church I would be going to and he was wonderful. I told him I wanted to come “back home” and he made it easy for me. Many changes had come to pass in the Church since my absence and it is an adjustment. I can only encourage you to do it. I will pray for you. If I can answer any questions or advise in any way, do not hesitate to private mail me. I pray you will find the peace and joy I have found. God bless.

Welcome back!

I just went through this myself. It’s hard and wonderful and gut wrenching and comforting all at the same time. The best thing I can recommend is to make an appointment with the priest of your local parish and discuss returning to the Church with him. He can give you the direction you need. Preparing for that first confession can produce some trepidation, but it is worth every ounce of angst.

And of course, pray!

40.png
Jess410:
Hi Jess!
I know just how ya feel. Sometimes we get lost along the way. I know I did. Read about it HERE. it took about 4 years of serious reading and study to get (what I feel) is a decent grip on the whys and wherefores of my faith.
How do I attend church after all these years?
Like the old song says. “Just walk right in. Sit right down…” 😉 If you made your first communion & confession, then you really need to make a good confession your first stop. Making a Good Confession should help a bit, and THIS will help with the actual “liturgy” (if that’s the right word). The Act of Contrition and other prayers can be found HERE (This is SO cool, I needed resources like this!).

I’m sure that others have already encouraged you to be sure to talk to the priest at the nearest parish, so give him a call or catch him after confession or at Mass. Probably best to call and make an appointment, maybe even over coffee or lunch.
Also I see that there are so many different versions of the Bible, can someone let me know which one is the best for Catholics?
I’ve heard it said that the best Bible is the one that you’ll read and to some extent I agree with that, but you’ll want to pick one from the best translations available.

I use The Douay-Rheims Version which is a good Catholic Bible that uses the same era English as the King James Version, (which I would not use.) I just like it for my own reading and study.

The New American Bible is the standard one that you will hear and follow along with at Mass, and it reads pretty well but some of the footnotes and study guides are messed up, so ya kinda want to watch that.

The Revised Standard Version is not bad at all really, sort of in between the other two as far as language and The Ignatius RSV-CE Bible has about the best reputation around for good translation and good notes. (This Amazon add has a really good price!)

Ya need a copy of The Catechism of the Catholic Church and it can be found HERE and your pastor can probably hook ya up if you say ya need one.

Finally, ya need to get into some good Catholic teaching and there is a GREAT source for that. The Catholic Home Study Service offers a series of Catholic courses that are FREE and I strongly recommend it to you. I completed them all and begged for more. They’re that good!
PM me if you have any other questions or anything else I can help with.
Pax tecum,

Welcome back! Catholic Answers has a Bible w/ scriptural explanations of Catholic doctrine. My Church uses it w/ Bible studies.

:blessyou:

Welcome back! I hope your journey back to the Church is rewarding. Mine was and I can’t tell you how much it has changed my life.
One thing I did was go back to RCIA classes…I was amazed at how much I really learned from this.:yup: and would reccomend this to anyone who hasn’t been to church in years…plus you will meet others who might be in your shoes!
Best wishes and God Bless!

Ditto to what everyone else said. But also, you should get confirmed. Talk to your priest!

Thank you all so much for your advice. I have a friend who attends church so I think I might ask to go with her just b/c I’m a little shy to go by myself. I’ve gone for confession before, but it was a long, long time ago. When do you do that? Are there set times for that or does it depend on the church? Also I haven’t done that many bad things, but everyone sins so how is it possible to remember everything when you confess? Well anyway I think I would like to go to the bookstore to learn more. I went to CCD when I was younger, but I don’t really remember too much & I would really just like to learn more by reading the Bible and any other books that look like they may be helpful. Anyway thanks again for the warm welcome and all the advice. 😉

40.png
Jess410:
. I have a friend who attends church so I think I might ask to go with her just b/c I’m a little shy to go by myself. I

've gone for confession before, but it was a long, long time ago. When do you do that?

Well anyway I think I would like to go to the bookstore to learn more. I . . I would really just like to learn more by reading the Bible and any other books that look like they may be helpful.
great idea for a first step, start attending Mass with a friend and ask Jesus to help you learn what you need to learn, and do what you need to do. Pick up a bulletin, it will tell you the times of confession, or give the priest’s phone number to call for an appointment. Just tell him where you are coming from and he will be overjoyed to guide you. Just confess what you can remember, knowing all your past sins will be forgiven. The enormous grace and feeling of well-being from this sacrament will overwhelm you and give your great joy. Then you can start receiving our Lord in Holy Communion, and each time you do, pray for grace to believe more, learn more, and love more.

books: you are right, begin with the Bible, but not on page 1. Read the Gospel of Mark first, you can read it in a couple of evenings because it is the shortest and tells in an immediate way the great things Jesus did for us. You can look for a Catholic bible in the bookstore, but you can read it in any bible you have. Don’t worry about the footnotes for now, just read the story. If something you read makes an impact or awakens a strong feeling, pray with that verse.

Your parish will have classes you can attend to learn more, the priest will tell you about them, and books available to purchase or borrow. The best thing to pick up and Borders or B & N is “Catholicism for Dummies” this will bring you “up to speed”, help you recall what you have forgotten about the faith, and why Catholics do what they do. It will tell you how to pray the rosary, and you can get one for low cost or free from your parish. That is the best daily prayer to begin with.

I would not load up on a lot of other books just yet. Wait a while till you have been attending Mass and receiving the sacraments for a while.

Then when you start getting a lot more questions, get a Catechism of the Catholic Church, around $10 at bookstores or less on-line, get somebody from your parish to show you how to use it. Then you can look up specific topics. But it is tough to wade through on your own.

Bottom line: Mass, confession and return to communion first, with daily prayer, then read the Gospel, then read other books and study and join a Confirmation class. It is not necessary to have a college degree in “Catholic” to return to the sacraments. Do not delay, this week is a great time, in fact, pick up the phone book, find the phone number of the Catholic Church nearest to you and make that call. We are all praying for you. Welcome home.

Jess:

Welcome Back!!!

My only add on to what has been almost unanimous to all of the posts below is this: ENJOY coming home!!!

God bless you!

in XT.

40.png
Jess410:
When do you do that?

Any time.

Are there set times for that or does it depend on the church?

Yes, there are. Just call the rectory.

Also I haven’t done that many bad things, but everyone sins so how is it possible to remember everything when you confess?

None of us ever remember them all. Do a thorough examination of conscience before you. Pray to Holy Spirit to bring forward you r sins of the past. He will help. Write them down. I did. I didn’t want to forget anything.
Here is alink for how to go through reconciliation.
Been away from the confessional for a while? This handy guide, tailored to adults, will help you make a good confession. By the way, it can be printed out and shared with your friends!
transporter.com/fatherpeffley/Doctrine/

Hi Jess,

I sure know how you feel. Last November I started back at church after taking, um, 30+ years off. Can you imagine my priest’s surprise when I went to confession, nervous as anything, and said, “Bless me father for I have sinned. It’s been 35 years since my last confession.” 😛 He did seem thrilled to have me in the confessional and even engaged me in a little conversation.

I still can’t follow the Mass. There’s a lot of the “group praying” (response) that I can’t do because I don’t remember it and I can’t find it in the missal. So, I sit or stand or kneel quietly and just listen to those around me while I keep my eyes closed.

I took communion for the first time in 35 years. Wow. The Eucharist was bigger than I thought. Oh, and I forgot to say “Amen” and cross myself. I’m always forgetting stuff during mass. But, you know what? I don’t care. I’m there for myself and for Christ, not to impress anyone around me.

I figure if I keep going every week, stop being afraid of making mistakes, and try to enjoy the changes that have taken place in Mass over the past 35 years, well, all those prayers will come back to me.

(As an aside: I do like the fact that if I only have jeans and a sweater to wear to church, that seems acceptable by today’s standards. Plus, not having anything decent to wear is no longer an excuse for staying home from church.) :cool:

40.png
Lapsed:
Welcome back!

I just went through this myself. It’s hard and wonderful and gut wrenching and comforting all at the same time. The best thing I can recommend is to make an appointment with the priest of your local parish and discuss returning to the Church with him. He can give you the direction you need. Preparing for that first confession can produce some trepidation, but it is worth every ounce of angst.

And of course, pray!
You are back? Great, Ive read a few of your posts in the past. I remember praying for you. although you should change the type you have for religion. Maybe say yea Im home 🙂 .

40.png
hushpuppy:
I still can’t follow the Mass. There’s a lot of the “group praying” (response) that I can’t do because I don’t remember it and I can’t find it in the missal. So, I sit or stand or kneel quietly and just listen to those around me while I keep my eyes closed.
That’s perfectly fine, you’ll learn them in no time.

If you’d like, I recommend this tract on the Order of Mass: catholic-resources.org/ChurchDocs/Mass.htm.

Welcome home.

:blessyou:

Congratulations on a very wise move. You’re wise beyond your years. 👍

I don’t know if anyone mentioned this before. It would be helpful and, most likely, required that you attend RCIA classes. I doubt that you remember much of the teachings and practices of the Church and RCIA will give you all of this information.

It’s probably up to you if you want to try to go to confession and being with taking communion. You might find it easier to wait until you complete RCIA, confess, take communion and then be confirmed.

My emphasis is on RCIA. You’ll be lost without it.

I haven’t been away from the Church as long as you have but sometimes it feels like decades, especially when I started going back and realized that so much had changed.
When I went back, I just started going. I didn’t participate much, mostly just played “follow the leader” and did what others did. I’m not a regular attendant yet but I’ve gone more this year than I have in the past two so I consider that progress.
Just hang in there and do whatever feels comfortable to you. Take it slow. God knows what’s in your heart and that’s all that matters. 😃
40.png
Jess410:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back