Getting back into the faith, need answers though

  • Thread starter Thread starter Domitus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Domitus

Guest
Hello all,

Before I delve into my question, I’ll just give a general background on my religious history, Hope someone can help me out! I’ve done a little research already but the answers were all a little vague.

Okay, so I was born into a big Catholic family. I was baptized Catholic as an infant at St. Michael’s in Trenton, NJ and then moved down to GA and started attending at a local Catholic church. However, once I was about 10 or so my family and I stopped attending the church and, so, I stopped going to Catechism before I got my first communion and my confirmation. Now, I’m 22 and I want to jump headlong back into my faith after a long bout of going to many other churches (all of which I was never satisfied with).

What should I expect to go through once I make an appointment with my local priest and tell him my story? I know a good bit of prayers from childhood such as my hail Mary, the Apostles Creed and the Lord’s prayer, and I know a few, but not all, of the mysteries… so I can make my way through the rosary.

Any help or insight? Be easy on me :o
 
The priest will probably recommend the Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults program for you. You would probably not be able to join a class until the fall. In the meantime, get a copy of the Catholic Catechism and also explore the free materials put out by the Knights of Columbus. Continue to go to Mass, especially on Sundays and during Holy Week. Perhaps also your pastor can suggest a mentor for you as well to help prepare you for entering the RCIA program. Get a Bible also if you don’t have one. You can find every day’s readings listed at usccb.org , in fact, they have the whole text you can read right there. Ignatius Press has loads of books that may be of help to you. I will be praying for you–let us know how things progress!👍:signofcross:
 
Have you attended Mass yet? You might be surprised at how much you remember and how much you’ll feel as if you’ve come home!

I don’t know how much instruction the priest will require of you before receiving the sacraments.
 
I would suggest that you plan to go to (through) the RCIA program. It is an excellent way to learn more about the Catholic Church and what it teaches. Buy yourself a good Catholic study Bible and a catechism, and if possible ask around and see if there are any good bible studies in the parish near you. By all means talk with a priest and allow him to give you some advice. Blessings on your journey home.
 
I was baptized Catholic. However, I stopped going to Catechism before I got my first communion and my confirmation. Now, I’m 22 and I want to jump headlong back into my faith.

What should I expect to go through once I make an appointment with my local priest and tell him my story? I know a good bit of prayers from childhood such as my hail Mary, the Apostles Creed and the Lord’s prayer, and I know a few, but not all, of the mysteries… so I can make my way through the rosary.
Welcome home!
You can expect some instruction on the Sacraments of Initiation that you have yet to receive (Confirmation and Holy Eucharist), and the Sacrament of Reconciliation. I can’t say what form your instruction would take, or how long it would take. Meanwhile, I encourage you to start going to Mass.
 
I would say if you have received your Sacraments of Reconciliation and Eucharist in the past you should immediately start by going back to confession and start going to mass and receiving. In the meantime make an appointment with a priest and he will help you from there with what you may individually need.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top