Getting in and staying in a good mood

• Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dizzy_dave

How do I as a Catholic get in agood mood and stay in one? I am usually tired and worn down. I have anxiety problems and Mirtal Valve prolapse (Heart) I tend to be very moody. I work with a woman who is an Assemblies of God member and is always happy and cheerful (and of course thinks her religion is the right one). I go to the sacraments regularly, pray, fast, etc. and am usually unhappy and tired. When I go to mass during the week on Tues. and Thurs. and receive the Eucharist I tend to be more moody. I should be dancing in the streets and happy, why am I not (especially if my religion is the right one). Can someone help?

40.png
dizzy_dave:
How do I as a Catholic get in agood mood and stay in one? I am usually tired and worn down. I have anxiety problems and Mirtal Valve prolapse (Heart) I tend to be very moody. I work with a woman who is an Assemblies of God member and is always happy and cheerful (and of course thinks her religion is the right one). I go to the sacraments regularly, pray, fast, etc. and am usually unhappy and tired. When I go to mass during the week on Tues. and Thurs. and receive the Eucharist I tend to be more moody. I should be dancing in the streets and happy, why am I not (especially if my religion is the right one). Can someone help?
Have you considered talking to a priest and voicing your concerns to him? Perhaps he can give some personal attention or refer you to someone who can give you the guidance you need. In the meantime, it sounds like perhaps you are focusing too much of your efforts on trying to be happy instead of just being happy by doing things. If you find yourself getting down, think positive thoughts and go do something that you enjoy, or go do something productive. I know this sounds ridiculous, but it actually works. Just stop and consider this a moment. If you sit there thinking about how unhappy you are, do you honestly think that will make you feel better? Or would it be more productive to think of how fortunate you are to be alive, to have your faith, to know that God is looking out for you every second of every day of your life? Give thanks to God for the wonderful gifts He has given you and go do something with them! It will take your mind off your troubles and help you focus on the positive aspects of life.

Your feelings can be misleading.
Outward appearances can also be misleading.
Instead please focus on the facts and what you know is true.

King Belshazzar and a thousand of his lords were feeling very good and partying it up years ago (Daniel Chapter 5 verses 1-2). And they were actually in grave danger and spiritually bankrupt.

Similarly Job was really down on his luck, with sores and you know all the rest. His friends seemed to be better off. But before the end of the book, we find that his friends weren’t better off than Job.

We are no where promised that we will be happy in this life. St. Paul said he was content (see Philippians 4:11-13 and 1 Timothy 6:8).

Attitude Tips:

a)
Realize that you are important. If it was needed, I think that Mary Jesus and Joseph would have all gone through everything all over again just for you alone. But His sacrifice was for us all.
So love the Lord with all your heart and give Him thanks.
b) Focus on and dwell on what you have. Instead of dwelling on what you don’t have or what you used to have (your health). Instead of having the habit of wanting more. Tell yourself that you are content with what you have (1 Tim 6:8).
c) Focus on and dwell on the good in others. Forgive (but also be smart, not a doormat). Don’t dwell on things other people did bad to you. This is an evil world. Instead, think about and dwell on the Jesus that you see in others (like Mother Theresa). Serve the Lord with gladness by faith (even when you don’t feel happy).
d) Have a giving attitude when you are with others. Don’t be friends only with those who meet you half way. Or try to be friends only with those who give you more than you must give back.

Does that help?

on top of what previous posters have said, if in fact you feel like you’re in a sad mood often, don’t have drive, desire, even hate bathing, because everything you do is an effort. if you feel withdrawn and this grey cloud lasts for more than a few days, you might be one of the 10,000,000 americans who suffers some degree of depression. it’s a disease just like diabetes of high blood pressure, it’s treatable and often totally curable in just a few months, but it is a MEDICAL condition, not a religious one. talk to your doctor or call a trusted hospital to set up a meeting with a counselor so that they can help you determine the root of the problem.
this is easy to treat, just take the first step and talk to your physician.
take my advice, the road to feeling better is a fast and easy one.
👍

As I am not always in a good mood either I may not be the best source of advice! The answers above are pretty fine. I would add, perhaps redundantly, two things. First, we don’t have to be in a good mood: I realize that it is more pleasurable, but as so much of the world offends Our Lord, when we see all those things and take Our Lord’s side (humbly and as best we can), we are bound to feel some pain: this may be pleasurable pain however, which may be hard to explain.

I’m probably not helping much there. So I’ll move on to my second point: whenever I read a good spiritual book, it picks me right up. I find there, reverently explained, what the truth is, what this life is, and where the faithful will go assuming they remain faithful.

True happiness is not pollyannaish. Remember that, too!

40.png
thechrismyster:
on top of what previous posters have said,
<snip, snip>
talk to your doctor or call a trusted hospital to set up a meeting with a counselor so that they can help you determine the root of the problem.
👍
I agree with this. While there may be spiritual causes to this (and you should definitely talk to your priest about it), I agree that you should also get a physical exam. Many illnesses (including both depression and diabetes) can cause a tired, run-down feeling. Non-medical conditions such as poor sleep habits and a lack of exercise can also cause it.

John

Everyone has posted some great ideas here. I will suggest one that affected me for some time: improper nutrition. I never understood my mood would change so dramatically until I learned about blood sugar levels. No need to think dark night of the soul if a little bite of food can resolve the problem! 😃

Oh and do you drink enough pure water? I find also that I can feel rundown and sluggish if I don’t get enough (just drink coffee or cokes for example).

You may also have a more sensitive disposition or even a not so sunny one. I always felt badly that I was not bubbly or sunny like other young women my age. But who says everyone has to be that way? Personalities will vary. God can sanctify them all.

Thank you for sharing your journey with us. Many saints have had dry times in their spiritual life. Then there is the infamous, “Dark night of the Soul.” If you would like to really sit down and take your time and discuss this with someone, I would recommend a professional Spiritual Director. We have an Order of nuns in our diocese that practice Perpetual Adoration. They also do Spiritual Direction. I hope you have someone in your area like this.

God bless you,
Deacon Tony SFO

Dear Dizzy Dave,
Good diet and sufficient exersise are great mood enhancers. Probably with your heart problems, you are limited in exersise, which is unfortunate. Maybe, then, something like yoga stretches could help your physical well being without straining your heart.

It does sound like your problem is physiological. If all else fails, you might need to resort to a psychotropic medication.

. I have anxiety problems and Mirtal Valve prolapse (Heart) I tend to be very moody​

That can more than likely affect your mood. Does this affect your blood pressure etc?
Also, you may want to sit down and talk to someone first, your priest etc.
IF that does not help maybe your M.D can help. There are some good medications, out there to help, if you are going through a bout of depression.

Ditto to all the good advice already given. Talk to your doctor, make sure you are eating well & drinking enough water, and exercising.I would like to add, being around positive (tho not falsely cheerful) people. I always get a lift from being around positive & energetic people, but some of those happy, happy Protestants can get on my nerves!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back