Getting my act together...

• Thread starter Thread starter sarcophagus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sarcophagus

Ok…I’ve decided that I am finally going to get my act together. I saw my midterm marks this mornign and am failing my most important class (though the rest are in the 80-95% range). I’ve decided that from this point on, I’m going to quit the drugs, quit smoking, partying so much. But not only that…tomorrow, I’m dragging my lazy but to mass…finally.
I need a lot of prayers, considering I’ve battled with drug addiction, for 8 years (i started very young…too young). Does any one have any suggestions that might help with this?

Thanks so much!!!

Yes. Like you I have had to overcome many other types of addictions. I found my answer through frequent attendance at Holy Mass and frequent Confession. I am still very far from being where Christ wants me to be, but the starting point is realisation of where He wants me to be and a deep desire to go there. I completely trust that this model of living has helped me to identify the areas I often put in place of God. Frequent Confession made me realise my failings and daily Eucharist (when possible) gives me the strength to combat them. The call to holiness is there. WE need to tune into it and, believe me there is no better way than through the Holy Mass supported by frequent Confession.

I have a quote I love to use and ponder on when I have those times where i fee I am making very little progress in the spiritual life. It refers to a young man who started living this way. Soon daily Mass and frequent Confession were his hearts desire. After some time he began to feel that in spite of all he was doing, he was still the same and had made very little progress. The reply that came from St JoseMaria Escriva was simply ***“Imagine what you would be now if you did not do these things.”

Look at today’s first reading from the Prophet Micah:

"***Once more have pity on us,
tread down our faults,
to the bottom of the sea
throw all our sins."

This "Once more…" is the most important thing to remember. We must have frequent recourse to the Lord in sorrow for our sins if we are to make progress. He will be there, waiting for you, ready to pour grace and mercy into your heart once again as if it were the first time, as if you were the only one in the world into which He could pour all His mercy. And when you fall again, remember the phrase "Once more have pity on me".

Don’t expect overnight perfection. It is a battle and always will be, but look to the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament for strength and protection. He will never dissapoint you.

God Bless you always. I will remember you always in my prayers.

Thanks Fergal and Rayne,

So far, it’s been hard…I didn’t make it to mass (i forgot that the bus schedule is different on sundays), but I am trying to quit everything else.

Meditation helps with chemical addictions. Maximilian Kolbe is a patron saint of addictions. The hardest part is outlining your priorities and approach. Try your best too to find some sort of network with people who who have ideals and life styles that inspire you. It will be very helpful in the process.

Dont’ beat yourself up too much if it takes you a few failed attempts before you make it mass or find a regular schedule that incorporates all your proposed amendments. It takes time to develop a new routine (and lots of patience where bus schedules are involved). It might be of help to your commitment if your volunteer to be an altar server, Eucharist minister, lector, or join a prayer group or Bible Study at a church. Three months before a routine becomes a habit and way of life.

**JMJ
Posted by sarcophagus

Getting my act together…

Ok…I’ve decided that I am finally going to get my act together. I saw my midterm marks this mornign and am failing my most important class (though the rest are in the 80-95% range). I’ve decided that from this point on, I’m going to quit the drugs, quit smoking, partying so much. But not only that…tomorrow, I’m dragging my lazy but to mass…finally.
I need a lot of prayers, considering I’ve battled with drug addiction, for 8 years (i started very young…too young). Does any one have any suggestions that might help with this?

Thanks so much!!!

sarcophagus

It’s not going to be easy. In fact, it could possibly be the most difficult thing you ever do. Remember, if you find you can’t do it on your own, seek help. You will have good and bad days, and maybe some back-sliding, don’t give up! Take it one day at a time. Remember, God loves you and he is always with you. I am very proud of you and I have a great deal of respect for your decision to “get your act together” especially giving up drugs. I will pray for you.

May God Bless you!

At one point in my life I found myself slipping away from the Catholic Church and Christ, getting engrossed in too many secular things. Step 1 for me was to start going to Mass again - every Sunday no exceptions. I also decided to read the Bible cover to cover in the next 12 months - which I did. About a month in, I found myself having an intense need to go to Confession. Prayer, and doing more of God’s will just seemed to happen naturally as the Holy Spirit grew within me. It really happened that way, I was the clueless sinner that got enlightened every day :o

IMHO if you follow a similar plan, you will have a similar result. God loves all of us infinitely, you will bring Him great joy by coming back to Him. Welcome back, and God bless you!

As a P.S., one thing I do at just about every Mass after I receive the Eucharist, is I say a special prayer that the Priest gave me to say for Penance one day - say a prayer for those that do not have Jesus firmly rooted in their heart. Maybe it helped! As you come back, please say that prayer for others not as fortunate as you!

what they said, plus get physical support you need for physical effects of addiction, and the strain on the body that always comes while toxins are being removed. Proper nutrition, hydration, sleep etc. physcial with blood tests first, and several weeks down the line would also be a good idea. This holds for trying to quit smoking or drinking too. I think a lot of the failures in these attempts are due to the physical strain that occurs during detox.

try finding a book by or about Matt Talbott (try Sophia Institute Press) or Getting Free by Bert Ghazzi both of which remind us the key is not our own will power but surrending our will to Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back