Getting my act together

• Thread starter Thread starter katy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katy

I recently reverted to the Church and have been reading posts. A lot of folk seem to go to Confession every month or 2. I can’t think of anything at all to say.Since I doubt it is because of my extreme holiness, I expect it is because I’m just not aware of what to look for after I got the big stuff out of the way. What is an ongoing way to do this? Any help appreciated.

40.png
katy:
Any help appreciated.
Bless you for keeping Our Lord’s commandments.

FWIW, it’s not a bad idea to confess venial sins too.

And if these are scarce, try finding a parish that has adoration times instead.

:blesyou:

Katy, that’s great that you’re getting closer to God.

Frequent confession is like getting spiritual glasses. Once you clear away the big stuff, your conscience will become more sensitive and you will begin to notice more little stuff, or become aware that what you once thought of as little is really more important. The more you pray and receive the Sacraments, the more God will bring you closer to Him, showing you what He wants you to do next - which faults to eliminate, which virtues to acquire. Just let yourself be led, and you will be fine!

Betsy

Every month or two?
That’s it?

I go every week if I can. (That’s cause I am by no means holy)
It is usually venial sins but sometimes not. 😦
Also some things are sins not by commision but by ommision.

Heh. When you realise the confession time is at 10:00 on a Saturday morning only for the nearest church, and that it can become habitual to go to confession, it becomes quite apparent that one should attempt to sin less and less…

It certainly works for me 😃 Although the sacrament of reconciliation is beautiful for me, I think I would rather attempt to avoid sin, no matter how tempting the sin may be…

Let’s see if I can last for a month in minimum! 😃

40.png
katy:
I recently reverted to the Church and have been reading posts. A lot of folk seem to go to Confession every month or 2. I can’t think of anything at all to say.Since I doubt it is because of my extreme holiness, I expect it is because I’m just not aware of what to look for after I got the big stuff out of the way. What is an ongoing way to do this? Any help appreciated.
Here, this should help you 😃

cin.org/avatar/examcon.html

Excellent link Diane!

Katy:

The Holy Spirit is wonderful in helping us to know that we are so very far from perfect.

If it is a deeper and holier life you desire, it is the work of the Holy Spirit. Listen and do those things necessary to examine your life further.

The Ten Commandments are deeper than the one line we can rattle off for each one.

For instance: Thou shalt not kill.

Well, let’s assume you haven’t actually killed someone. Are you off the hook for number five? Maybe. But what about:

harboring a grudge,
failing to apologize,
refusing to forgive someone,
driving carelessly,
failing to pray for the deceased?

It is easy to think that as long as we don’t do the Big 10, we’re fine. But if the Holy Spirit prompts you to look further - it’s in your best interest to do so!

And remember, the Sacramental Grace given to you at absolution not only helps you to avoid sin - it helps you to see your faults more clearly.

When we compare ourselves to others, we’ll always think we’re better than someone.
When we compare ourselves to Christ, we will never stop finding areas of improvement.

I also believe that by frequent confession, it is possible to lead a life free from mortal sin.

=)
Kat

yup, that’s the sort of idea I had. Getting closer to God and improving my life in his eyes beyond the obvious. Thanks also for the link.

40.png
Fizendell:
I also believe that by frequent confession, it is possible to lead a life free from mortal sin.
So true.

I’d say that even better would be to commit no sin whatsoever, venial ones included. Each sin is an offense towards God. We should tremble at even the thought of offending Our Lord.

Regular and frequent confession along with regular and frequent communion are the only possible means to live the Grace of God in its fullest.

:blessyou:

Hello

I make the attempt to go to confession once a month, and I always seem to find something to confess, if it is a sin or something done in error I require my soul to be cleaned and purified.

God Bless
Saint Andrew.

Katy, congrats on coming home. I was running into the same dilemna when I first came into the Church. One thing I noticed is that the further I got from my last confession, the less I was aware of sin. Like after a bath, the cleaner you are, the more you notice each speck of dirt, the dirtier you are, the less you notice each incremental layer.

I found a lot of food for though in a book on frequent confession that focused not only on the sins, such as the examiniation of consciences previously cited, but also on the virtues, and how I was falling short of them. (falls under “what I have failed to do” 😦 ) Plenty to confess now!

40.png
ames61:
Katy, congrats on coming home. I was running into the same dilemna when I first came into the Church. One thing I noticed is that the further I got from my last confession, the less I was aware of sin. Like after a bath, the cleaner you are, the more you notice each speck of dirt, the dirtier you are, the less you notice each incremental layer.

I found a lot of food for though in a book on frequent confession that focused not only on the sins, such as the examiniation of consciences previously cited, but also on the virtues, and how I was falling short of them. (falls under “what I have failed to do” 😦 ) Plenty to confess now!
Do you remember the name of the book?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back