Getting Rid of God: Where did the Big Bang Happen?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Claudia_Mazzucc
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Claudia_Mazzucc

Guest
Try to recall who God was for you when you were a child. List key concepts you learned about God when you were growing up. What or who was the source for your information – parents, friends, TV, religious education?

Take one minute and write any word association that you now have with the word “God.” Try not to think, just write whatever comes to your mind.

Can you remember a time when you felt jealous, angry, or resentful toward God? Can you take those events and reframe them into more positive feelings and meaningful lessons?

The name in the Bible that unfortunately has been translated as “God” is comprised of the Hebrew letters yud, hey, vav, hey and is written out in English as “Y/H/V/H.” It is important to know that “Y/H/V/H” is not a word at all, but a Tetragrammaton – the Tetragrammaton as there is only one – standing for “was/is/and/will be.”

How can a human mind grasp Y/H/V/H? How can the human mind imagine the Ultimate Timeless Reality? This is a very difficult idea to grasp because it surpasses our minds. It’s like a drop of water in the ocean, trying to grasp the ocean. Indeed, the best we can say is that we each embody an aspect of reality, but we are not reality. Like the drop of water in the ocean, we exist within reality. Because reality is Y/H/V/H.

When Jews celebrate Passover, they sing a song from the Haggadah: “Blessed Is the Place.” One of the terms used to describe Y/H/V/H is the “Place,” Why “the Place”? Because it suggests Y/H/V/H is the place in which we exist, is the reality within which we exist.

If you believe in the Big Bang theory – that the word came into being as a primordial explosion with masses of hot, whirling gases that eventually condensed into stars and planets – you would still have to ask: Where did all this happen? What place was this in which the explosion took place? “Who” or “What” facilitated this event?

The answer is Y/H/V/H, the Ultimate Reality – the One who embraces all time, all space and all beings.

Ultimate reality is beyond all names, all terms, all images. We can’t stuff something as vast and abstract as that any rigid concept or image. When we say “God”, we realize that we only possess a simplistic, limited, inadequate understanding of the Ultimate Reality, the Source of All Being, the Place or the Context of All That Exists.

God is dead; it is a lifeless concept, a dead word.

Recently Ron, a computer engineer, Hebrew by roots, but an atheist, visited the Western Wall in Jerusalem, the last remnant of the Temple, which stood over two thousand years ago. He thought, “I am an atheist. What the heck, here I am at the Wall, I should do something spiritual.” So he turned to a religious fellow next to him and asked, “Well, what does one do here?”

The fellow responded, “Why don’t you recite some psalms?” and he handed him a book of psalms. Ron thought that seemed appropriate and he began to read some verses. Sure enough just within the first few words, he hit upon the “God” word. Although he felt annoyed, he decided to continue. But again the “God” word appeared. Now he was getting very frustrated. How can I say this if I don’t believe in God? He asked himself. Do I have to believe in God to have a spiritual experience?

He decided to relate to his predicament as if it were a computer problem. When there is a computer data that he can’t use, he creates a buffer zone and puts it there. Ron decided, I’ll put the “God” word in a mental buffer zone and simply disregard it so I can continue reading the psalms without getting aggravated. And that is what he did.

Ron then continued reading and suddenly felt overwhelmed by a flood of inspiration released by the moving poetic words of King David. He was stuck by a profound spiritual experience, which he had never felt before. It was as if he were surrounded by light. Only when he got rid of “God” he was able to understand the Ultimate Living Reality.

It is interesting to note that Nietzsche, besides proclaiming that God is dead, also said that unless we experience an infinite whole working through us, our lives have no meaning. Nietzsche didn’t believe in “God.” And neither do I. I believe in the infinite Whole, the One who was, is, and always will be.
 
It is interesting to note that Nietzsche, besides proclaiming that God is dead, also said that unless we experience an infinite whole working through us, our lives have no meaning. Nietzsche didn’t believe in “God.” And neither do I. I believe in the infinite Whole, the One who was, is, and always will be.
God is dead: Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead: God

Only one of these statements is factual, meaning that it is verifiable, measurable and known.

Guess which one.
 
For someone who identifies themself as a Catholic, this is a very “interesting” post to make on a Catholic forum, especially as your first post.

As I read it, I was struck by the fact that you at first present God as a place, a presence that encompasses all. Then the second part relays a story about a Computer programmer who removes God from the beauty of the Psalms and your protagonist then experiences a spiritual enlightenment. It is a juxtaposition of two completely different views (in my estimation).

Please, tell us what you are hoping to find and let us help. I have to ask if you are troubled, or if you are reaching out for guidance, because I think you are walking close to some dangerous waters.

I will pray for you.
 
…If you believe in the Big Bang theory – that the word came into being as a primordial explosion with masses of hot, whirling gases that eventually condensed into stars and planets – you would still have to ask: Where did all this happen? What place was this in which the explosion took place? “Who” or “What” facilitated this event?..
Do “where” and “place” have meaning without matter? Did Nietzsche ever have a course in thermodynamics? Does he explain entropy?
 
I am unsure of what to think of this. On the one hand, it seems to be a rejection of simply conceptualizing God as a bearded man in the sky wearing a robe - a kind of Christianized Zeus without the other Greek gods around to be annoying. And this is fine. God is not a bearded man in the sky.

It also tends to go the root of God being the source of all things. This is also fine. I am not sure if I like to think of things existing in God - God is Holy, separate from creation, but it does exist through Him and continues to exist because He allows it. The Big Bang, should it have occurred (and it probably did) certainly occurred because he allowed it, at his direction. Depends on what you mean by “in” I suppose.

I can also see how an atheist who has the bearded man version of God engrained in his mind would see the psalms better when he discards the word and hence the image.

But it seems to reduce God to being impersonal, and this is not cool. Sure, He is more than a bigger human, but He does have will and does act - He more than just a sort of mysticized reality. That is, it seems to lean a bit pantheistic - it is true that beginning and end of all things is God, but it is also true that the beginning and end of all things defies understanding. God is not the universe, the universe is not God. Creation is separate from, though dependent on, the creator, and the beginning and end of all things is much, much more than a way of summing up the story of creation from start to finish.

It may be that I am reading things into what you said that you did not mean - in fact I know I extrapolated some things which you did not directly hint at in any way at all, but this is what I get from reading your post.
 
A “Profound spiritual experience” didn’t die on a cross so save me from eternity in Hell.

And “A place in which we exist” didn’t walk out of his own grave.

The “One who was, is, and always will be” is indeed God, and he has a mother whose name is Mary.

The “Ultimate Living Reality” has a name - Jesus Christ - and he gave us his flesh to eat so that we would aways know that he is real.

And the whole thing doesn’t really belong in the Sacred Scripture forum anyway.

-Tim-
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top