Gifts of the Spirit

• Thread starter Thread starter Pansy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pansy

Can anyone recomend reading material regarding the gifts of the Holy Spirit?

Thanks

Pansy

Here are a few that are out there:

“Commissioned With Power” by Gordon Lindsay

“Handbook on Holy Spirit Baptism” by Don Basham

“The Holy Spirit And His Gifts: Study Course” by Kenneth Hagin

David

Hmmmm, Pansy, I notice from your profile that you a new convert to the Catholic church! (so am I - about 10 years) Welcome!!

I think you would do well to stick to only Catholic books that are orthodox and have a good reputation. Here are two great ones:

bookstore.franciscan.edu/webitemimages/421/W40624-t.jpg

**The Sanctifier: The Classic work on the Holy Spirit **
Archbishop Luis M. Martinez
In this book Archbishop Martinez reveals the secrets to holiness by guiding us to understand the gentle ways in which the Spirit acts in our lives. The author explains how the Spirit is present to us and leads us to the Father and the Son, especially through the virtues of faith, hope, and charity. 349 pages
bookstore.franciscan.edu/webitemimages/421/W40618-t.jpg

**The Spirit: Giver of Life and Love **
John Paul II
In the third volume of the series, Pope John Paul II explores the relation of the Holy Spirit to the life of the Church as a whole, to that of the individual Christian, to the sacraments, to the Church’s eschatological hope, and to ministry. 459 pages

Verbum Caro:
Hmmmm, Pansy, I notice from your profile that you a new convert to the Catholic church! (so am I - about 10 years) Welcome!!

I think you would do well to stick to only Catholic books that are orthodox and have a good reputation. Here are two great ones:

bookstore.franciscan.edu/webitemimages/421/W40624-t.jpg

**The Sanctifier: The Classic work on the Holy Spirit **
Archbishop Luis M. Martinez
In this book Archbishop Martinez reveals the secrets to holiness by guiding us to understand the gentle ways in which the Spirit acts in our lives. The author explains how the Spirit is present to us and leads us to the Father and the Son, especially through the virtues of faith, hope, and charity. 349 pages
bookstore.franciscan.edu/webitemimages/421/W40618-t.jpg

**The Spirit: Giver of Life and Love **
John Paul II
In the third volume of the series, Pope John Paul II explores the relation of the Holy Spirit to the life of the Church as a whole, to that of the individual Christian, to the sacraments, to the Church’s eschatological hope, and to ministry. 459 pages
Hmmm, let’s see, neither of those 2 books answer her question, do they? If you know of a good Charismatic Catholic book on the gifts to recommend, then please do. Since you obviously are trying to direct her away from that, you need to repent, since both JP II and Benedict have backed the Charismatic movement in the Church as valid.

David

I need to repent? I am abviously directing her away?

Have you read those books? I simply wanted to offer good solid catholic recommendations to a fellow catholic. These books do speak of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Why would you assume that I have anything against the Charismatic Movement? I do not think your reply to my post was appropriate nor charitable.

Please explain why I should repent.

Verbum Caro:
I need to repent? I am abviously directing her away?

Have you read those books? I simply wanted to offer good solid catholic recommendations to a fellow catholic. These books do speak of the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Why would you assume that I have anything against the Charismatic Movement? I do not think your reply to my post was appropriate nor charitable.

Please explain why I should repent.
OK, perhaps I jumped the gun. I apologize.

Neither of those books deal with the gifts of the Spirit - I checked. The nine gifts of the Spirit are speaking in tongues, interpretation of tongues, prophecy, word of knowledge, word of wisdom, discerning of spirits, miracles, gifts of healing, and faith. Are all supernatural gifts described in 1 Cor and require a charismatic perspective in order to properly understand them. Most of those gifts are very apparently supernatural, but many have been misrepresented by non-charismatic books on the Holy Spirit.

For instance, the gift of faith described in 1 Cor is not the same as the faith needed to believe. The gift of faith is one of the most powerful ways to see God move. We can see an example of the gift of faith operating in the woman with the issue of blood who secretly touched Jesus and healing power flowed from him to heal her. Jesus told her that it was her faith that had healed her. The “faith” spoken of in 1 Cor results in powerful demonstrations of God’s intervention in our lives, like all of the gifts. However, most today lose that meaning and settle for equating it to the faith necessary to believe or the faith necessary to endure something.

Those are the kinds of explanations found in the books you recommended. I assumed you did so to “protect” Pansy as a new Catholic from being misled into charismatic teachings. Most non-charismatics are threatened by charismatics and try to water down the truth of the gifts of the Spirit.

I assumed that was your motive, because I’ve seen it so often. Sorry if I misread your intentions.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back