G
GloriousOrder
Guest
Dear friends
,
I am having a very frustrating time speaking to an atheist friend of mine. The poor fellow took Sociology 101 in university, and is extremely full of himself. He is not at all very happy, and tries to immerse himself in promiscuous sex and alcohol as much as he can. I am absolutely convinced that he does these things because of a lack of belief in God. His arrogance and pride at being a “logical” and “scientific” mind, always thinking he disproves Christianity, is really overwhelming. I do say to him all I’ve said here, and it is in the spirit of charity; I want to help God in this man’s conversion, but he is very obstinate.
My friend says that the Gospels are not to be trusted as the revealed word of God because of their ancient quality (and thus unreliability). He believes that the Holy Scriptures have been changed and shaped to fit the times. When I point out the fact that the Gospel writers seem to attack their very own character and humiliate themselves (thus making them somewhat trustworthy), he says it’s just “affected modesty”. He believes the evangelists’ humility is just a fad that they followed along with the general trend Christ set: in order to be accepted by the new society of “the Way”.
This dear brother is full of extremely frustrated notions about society. He often refers to himself as the only morally-good person in his city. All he ever complains about in everyday life is how bad women are and how stupid men are. He’s full of dismissive anger (not rage, just inner anger) at all of society and wishes God would just be kind enough to show us all the angels, or to make him an angel so he can stop worrying about morality. I can see that he’s tortured, but the walls he puts up against the Scriptures are formidable in his self-confidence. He cannot be moved, and his heart is hardened.
How can I convince this unfortunate person that the Scriptures have the many qualities we claim they do? What evidence can I show that they were written by the evangelists in the A.D. 40’s-90’s? Who can I point to as extra-Biblical evidence for Jesus’ miracles (not just our Lord’s existence, but miracles and resurrection)? He refuses to accept the Gospels as historical accounts, because they’re “full of magic”. If an historical account is secular and non-supernatural in its explanations, he’ll accept it; if it’s religious, he’ll reject it - even if it says things about history that really are true.
We can see, in this fellow creature, the singular bias of approaching anything with an anti-God bent. If there’s any mention of God, something is totally discredited in his mind. I don’t want to see him dragged into Hell for his hatred and vitriolic rubbish, but what can be done?
I am having a very frustrating time speaking to an atheist friend of mine. The poor fellow took Sociology 101 in university, and is extremely full of himself. He is not at all very happy, and tries to immerse himself in promiscuous sex and alcohol as much as he can. I am absolutely convinced that he does these things because of a lack of belief in God. His arrogance and pride at being a “logical” and “scientific” mind, always thinking he disproves Christianity, is really overwhelming. I do say to him all I’ve said here, and it is in the spirit of charity; I want to help God in this man’s conversion, but he is very obstinate.
My friend says that the Gospels are not to be trusted as the revealed word of God because of their ancient quality (and thus unreliability). He believes that the Holy Scriptures have been changed and shaped to fit the times. When I point out the fact that the Gospel writers seem to attack their very own character and humiliate themselves (thus making them somewhat trustworthy), he says it’s just “affected modesty”. He believes the evangelists’ humility is just a fad that they followed along with the general trend Christ set: in order to be accepted by the new society of “the Way”.
This dear brother is full of extremely frustrated notions about society. He often refers to himself as the only morally-good person in his city. All he ever complains about in everyday life is how bad women are and how stupid men are. He’s full of dismissive anger (not rage, just inner anger) at all of society and wishes God would just be kind enough to show us all the angels, or to make him an angel so he can stop worrying about morality. I can see that he’s tortured, but the walls he puts up against the Scriptures are formidable in his self-confidence. He cannot be moved, and his heart is hardened.
How can I convince this unfortunate person that the Scriptures have the many qualities we claim they do? What evidence can I show that they were written by the evangelists in the A.D. 40’s-90’s? Who can I point to as extra-Biblical evidence for Jesus’ miracles (not just our Lord’s existence, but miracles and resurrection)? He refuses to accept the Gospels as historical accounts, because they’re “full of magic”. If an historical account is secular and non-supernatural in its explanations, he’ll accept it; if it’s religious, he’ll reject it - even if it says things about history that really are true.
We can see, in this fellow creature, the singular bias of approaching anything with an anti-God bent. If there’s any mention of God, something is totally discredited in his mind. I don’t want to see him dragged into Hell for his hatred and vitriolic rubbish, but what can be done?