Giving sacramental to non-Catholic

• Thread starter Thread starter mumto5
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mumto5

A friend of mine is having problems with her daughter and is worried she might try and harm herself. After talking with her my friend mentioned wanting to get the house blessed and put up a Lord’s prayer, etc. I suggested to her, since she wasn’t sure what to do, that she could use some Holy Water and sprinkle it around the house. I also gave her a blessed medal with St. Michael on one side and Guardian Angel on the other. She will treat the objects with respect. It occured to me afterwards that maybe, since the friend is not Catholic or even Christian per se, that maybe I had done something wrong since these are blessed items. What do you think?

Yes. The Catholic Church has been giving THE sacramental since it was written … the Holy Scriptures!
“What do you think?”<
I think you did well. Pray.

Joe

I think it’s perfectly okay to give a sacramental to a non-Catholic. St. Maximillian said to give the Miraculous Medal to people “even if he is the worst sort of man…then pray for his soul.” (I think that’s the quote…if not, it was something along those lines). The whole purpose of sacramentals is to serve as reminders of the sacraments and to serve as central points of private devotion. If non-Catholics are receiving sacramentals, it may help them to broaden their understanding of Catholicism and possible hear a calling within their souls…

-ACEGC

Thanks everyone, I feel much better. It was something I did on the spur of the moment and since I’ve never encountered such a situation before, I’ve never been aware whether there are any rules surrounding sacramentals that pertain to this sort of situation. I’ll be reassured by your answers 🙂

40.png
mumto5:
A friend of mine is having problems with her daughter and is worried she might try and harm herself. After talking with her my friend mentioned wanting to get the house blessed and put up a Lord’s prayer, etc. I suggested to her, since she wasn’t sure what to do, that she could use some Holy Water and sprinkle it around the house. I also gave her a blessed medal with St. Michael on one side and Guardian Angel on the other. She will treat the objects with respect. It occured to me afterwards that maybe, since the friend is not Catholic or even Christian per se, that maybe I had done something wrong since these are blessed items. What do you think?
Sounds like a great step towards conversion! 👍 You go girl…

40.png
mumto5:
that is fine to share sacramentals if you explain that they are aids to prayer, not magic potions or amulets

If you meet all problems by advising sprinkling holy water and hanging onto medals or rosaries, without advising or assisting the person who approaches you with concrete advice, help or support – especially in a critical situation like a potential suicide that demands immediate intervention by competent professionals – you reduce those sacramentals to superstition, and further confuse non-Catholics about their appropriateness and proper use.

Many people who have converted felt comfort when they had a Blessed MOther statue within their homes, even if they had no connection to a church or prayer. Many times it even led them to conversion. So I vote a solid yes…give a sacramental.
Many times, I have been invited to a wedding of a couple who are not solid or practicing in their faith, and I have given them a bible as a wedding present. God works in mysterious ways…why not be a seed planter in their life.

40.png
puzzleannie:
that is fine to share sacramentals if you explain that they are aids to prayer, not magic potions or amulets

If you meet all problems by advising sprinkling holy water and hanging onto medals or rosaries, without advising or assisting the person who approaches you with concrete advice, help or support – especially in a critical situation like a potential suicide that demands immediate intervention by competent professionals – you reduce those sacramentals to superstition, and further confuse non-Catholics about their appropriateness and proper use.
How right you are. My evangelical Pentecostal friend wanted to come to mass with me for some palms, and I have given her a corded rosary for her to pray on with the ecumenical miracle rosary I found on the net (though I know she wouldn’t pray t because I led her to pray the most Holy Rosary and the Ecumenical Miracle Rosary prayers; she says it takes alot of concentration :p).

Sacramentals, when explained properly, can be given. I like to share sacramentals because if the person uses them rightly for God, they can learn more about the Catholic church and sacramental grace.

40.png
puzzleannie:

Sorry to not make it clear, but the idea is to bring something holy into all this and to help the child through God and the Holy Spirit and to fight evil and negative influences. It was no accident I gave her the joint guardian angel/St. Michael medal. I did explain what they were for and how to use them. It seemed a very natural and logical thing at the time so maybe a prompting of the Holy Spirit?

All necessary professionals are involved. I’m really just someone for the mother to talk to, though looking out for my daughter’s interests in this situation is obviously my first priority.

I give away miraculous medals and rosaries all the time- explaining what they are of course. I have even been known to make bookmarks with the medals.

I think it’s wonderful that you did this for her in her time of need. I am not Catholic (although I’m getting ready to start RCIA) but I bought a Rosary and taught myself. I pray it daily and get such comfort from it and feel that there is such power in praying it. I have several small statues and a multitude of holy cards. Let us not forget all the Catholic books! They are all such a comfort to me and I was raised Protestant. Gasp! lol. The Rosary and the Saints are a big part of what is drawing me to the Church. I am sure your friend appreciates what you did greatly as it is so trying and scary when one is having trouble with a beloved child.

Amie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back