Glad Surprise in Germany

• Thread starter Thread starter Augustine
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Augustine

In spite of having a church attendance of only 7%, while in Nuremberg I had a good surprise when visiting an old and small church. It’s not the 1st time I visit that town, but the statistics led me to believe that those wonderful Gothic churches were nothing more than quaint tourist curiosities.

About a block from the monumental St. Lawrence’s, I noticed the humble St. Claire’s and, last Friday, I thought about visiting it again. When I approached it, I heard the organ and when I got in Mass was taking place. To my surprise, the church was packed, with people standing in the back along with me. The priest was being helped by a couple of young priests or deacons and only about half of the assembly was made up by elder people, who are usually the majority in week-day Masses.

I couldn’t resist but staying, even without understanding a word of German. Yet, I could follow it through and through. Ah, the beauty of being universal

I often wonder about all the reports we get about church attendance & general lack of religious expression in Europe. When I’ve visited small churches in Italy, I’ve often been the only foreign tourist - as for Sunday Mass, I’ve only been to the basilicas & they’re always full, but also with a lot of tourists. My Italian relatives & friends are very sincere Catholics although their Mass attendance varies from person to person, but in that respect I have to say they’re just like the other American Catholics I know. I suspect that the general situation is really the same as it is here, i.e. signs of improvement are definitely showing but it could also be a lot better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back