glory to God

• Thread starter Thread starter tomhag
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
By your words, actions, and prayer. Being thankful for all that you have good and bad. Not complaining about not having enough time, the weather your life constantly. By being a good example and bringing other souls to Christ. By seeing Christ in everyone you meet. By lifting your heart and soul to God for all he in his goodness has given you.
My simple explanation I am sure there are many other ways to give glory to God. But off the cuff if someone asked me how I give glory to God this would be my answer.

You give glory to God by using your gifts, and by your good thoughts, words, and deeds in the course of your days, to serve the Lord. The light of Christ in your soul shines through, and that glorifies the Lord.

40.png
tomhag:
What does it mean to give glory to God ?
This is a great question! It is perhaps taken for granted too much, and the true meaning is often missed.

It means to give Him credit, and to give Him the the place of honor. To consider Him worthy of trust, faith, hope, and love.

We seek glory in our own lives, perhaps by winning a prize and being acclaimed by others and valued by them as being “great”.

We give glory to sports figures when we adulate over their accomplishments and domination of their sport, or spend our time being amazed and giving them credit for being “the best”. That “glory” is leveraged by corporations using them to endorse cereal, shoes, and other products.

If we do this for sports figures, we should do it still more for the saints and angels. But those in heaven give it to God:

Apocalypse 4:10 The four and twenty ancients fell down before him that sitteth on the throne, and adored him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying: 11 Thou art worthy, O Lord our God, to receive glory, and honour, and power: because thou hast created all things; and for thy will they were, and have been created.

And if we do it for them, who themselves cast their crowns of glory at the feet of God, let us all the more give God credit for all that is accomplished and deserving of praise, including anything we ourselves seem to accomplish. Let us not rest on our laurels, but give those laurels to God as His rightful due and as our gift of gratitude to Him.

To acknowledge His Truth, and do justice by giving Him His due is to give glory to God. He deserves that His creature ought to please Him. To appreciate what He has done is to praise Him. To consider Him worthy of being praised is to give Him glory.
40.png
tomhag:
How do I do it?
The most important way is to recognize creation as His work, and to nurture an interior disposition favorable towards Him in all we encounter in life, whether good or evil.

We see from Scripture that it means to deem God worthy of good faith.

Romans 4:20 In the promise also of God he staggered not by distrust; but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God 21 Most fully knowing, that whatsoever he has promised, he is able also to perform.

In another place, we see that men do not always do so:

Apocalypse 16:9 And men were scorched with great heat, and they blasphemed the name of God, who hath power over these plagues, neither did they penance to give him glory.

The above shows that we give glory to God in the midst of our sufferings by accepting them in a spirit of penance.

Seek to give Him the very honor we normally pursue for ourselves, and submit to Him as our King and God. Obedience to Him and His servants is the most virtuous way to give glory to God. Do His Will as He has made it known. Obey Christ and His Church.

Are you seeking perfection?

Matthew 19:21 Jesus saith to him: If thou wilt be perfect, go sell what thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come follow me.

Perhaps you are being called to the religious life as a monk or friar.

hurst

In the New Testament Scriptures, the Greek word for glory is doxa - as in “doxology”, word of glory. It’s original meaning was “opinion” - as in “orthodox”, right opinion. " Over time, **doxa ** came to mean “good opinion”, and, ultimately, “glory”.

By this understanding, the first step in giving glory to God is to have a good and correct opinion of Him. This good and correct opinion of God comes through the loyal assent of one’s mind and submission of one’s will to God’s revelation of Himself, as unfailingly taught by the One True Church which He establised.

To add to what the others have said:

It is also a matter of giving the credit for all the good we do to God and not thinking it is just us (pride).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back