God changing people's names

  • Thread starter Thread starter OneAugustKnight
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

OneAugustKnight

Guest
How many times in Sacred Scripture does God change a person’s name. I can think of 4 people: Abraham, Sarah, Israel, and Peter.

Obviously there is something significant about this, but I am not sure how to put it into words. Why does God change these people’s names, and what does that tell us?
 
To name something implies ownership. God named Adam… Adam named the animals. God also named Isaiah’s children, Samson(?), John the Baptist, Jesus, and a few others I am not remembering off the top of my head. Always people for whom God had a special purpose. When God changes names it is for the same reason. Abraham is “Father of Nations”, Israel is “Strives with God”, and Peter is “Rock”. The naming implies ownership and special purpose/ calling.

God Bless
 
How many times in Sacred Scripture does God change a person’s name. I can think of 4 people: Abraham, Sarah, Israel, and Peter.

Obviously there is something significant about this, but I am not sure how to put it into words. Why does God change these people’s names, and what does that tell us?
To designate the significance of responding to God’s call. Just as Catholics are “named” at Baptism ("what name do you give your child?).
 
How many times in Sacred Scripture does God change a person’s name. I can think of 4 people: Abraham, Sarah, Israel, and Peter.

Obviously there is something significant about this, but I am not sure how to put it into words. Why does God change these people’s names, and what does that tell us?
He changes peoples name so that they may accomplish his will. For example, he changed Peters name because he would be the apostole of whom he would build his church upon. Their names have meanings. Peter means rock.

It tells us that he changes peoples name according to what they are going to be in charge of.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top