God is lost in the Crowd

  • Thread starter Thread starter YosefYosep
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Y

YosefYosep

Guest
I feel as if I don’t have much time for God anymore. Between college and a job, it’s difficult to just read a book on theology or really digest scripture. It just feels like there are too many things going on sometimes.
 
Is there some reason you don’t make time for God?
Well I still pray, read scripture, and attend mass. It’s just that I feel tired or wiped out because of school work or my job. This makes it harder for me to sit down and do some deep reading of Aquinas or Lewis. I just feel like my relationship with God is a bit shallow right now. I don’t feel the depth I used to.
 
Well I still pray, read scripture, and attend mass. It’s just that I feel tired or wiped out because of school work or my job. This makes it harder for me to sit down and do some deep reading of Aquinas or Lewis. I just feel like my relationship with God is a bit shallow right now. I don’t feel the depth I used to.
I’m sorry if this seems flippant but I don’t understand.

You need more time with God. What is stopping you? My guess is just yourself.
If you wish God to be more of a priority and you wish to read a theologian, then you should make time for that. 🤷 Are you asking something?
 
I’m sorry if this seems flippant but I don’t understand.

You need more time with God. What is stopping you? My guess is just yourself.
If you wish God to be more of a priority and you wish to read a theologian, then you should make time for that. 🤷 Are you asking something?
Yes you’re right. I’m technically in the way of me deepening my relationship with God. It’s sort of a split thing. On one hand I want to have a deeper relationship with God but every time I think about picking up a book or going to the tabernacle, I excuse myself because I’m too tired from work or I have to get this essay done for my English class. It always seems like these obstructions are in the way.
 
Yes you’re right. I’m technically in the way of me deepening my relationship with God. It’s sort of a split thing. On one hand I want to have a deeper relationship with God but every time I think about picking up a book or going to the tabernacle, I excuse myself because I’m too tired from work or I have to get this essay done for my English class. It always seems like these obstructions are in the way.
Perhaps you should learn time management.
 
For years I worked full time, had a part time job, raised three children, and went to school part time - but always made time for God and for studying theology. It can be done, if you’re motivated!
 
Well I still pray, read scripture, and attend mass. It’s just that I feel tired or wiped out because of school work or my job. This makes it harder for me to sit down and do some deep reading of Aquinas or Lewis. I just feel like my relationship with God is a bit shallow right now. I don’t feel the depth I used to.
Hey YosefYosep,

Fr. Mike’s homily on the Eucharist really helped me with this.

Hope you get as much out of it as I did,
Greg
 
For years I worked full time, had a part time job, raised three children, and went to school part time - but always made time for God and for studying theology. It can be done, if you’re motivated!
Your fortunate. And, I’m sure your heart is in the right place, but, your exultation of your own perseverance may do little for the OP other than to discourage him, and give him feelings of inadequacy.

Take heart, YosefYosep, Christ promised in the Beatitudes that in your weakness he will provide you strength.

Periods of dryness in our spirituality are common, especially when life events change.

Keep the faith, and know that God loves you, and soon you will be back into the groove, glorifying God.

Trust that even in times when simple prayer seems difficult, you have countless brothers and sisters who will pray for you…and count me as just one of them.
 
Good grief, when you know no more about someone other than that he goes to college and works a job, it seems to me flagrantly inappropriate to lay on the put down. What if someone is an engineering major and works? That is a pretty good excuse to let theology reading slide in my opinion. If he’s still going to mass and praying, that is above and beyond the call of duty for someone so busy. God doesn’t care is if we spend an hour a day reading some deep theological text. A heart felt 5 minute prayer means more to Him than trying to pray or read a long time to impress Him. Also, theology texts can be intellectually exhausting and one thing about time management in college is that one has to avoid burnout–so it might be smart not to engage in intense study that does not help fulfill the requirements for one’s major.

As someone who just recently graduated college and worked part time jobs in school while struggling with depression, I know how hard it is to keep up spiritual disciplines. Give the OP some sympathy here guys. 🤷
 
Your fortunate. And, I’m sure your heart is in the right place, but, your exultation of your own perseverance may do little for the OP other than to discourage him, and give him feelings of inadequacy.

Take heart, YosefYosep, Christ promised in the Beatitudes that in your weakness he will provide you strength.

Periods of dryness in our spirituality are common, especially when life events change.

Keep the faith, and know that God loves you, and soon you will be back into the groove, glorifying God.

Trust that even in times when simple prayer seems difficult, you have countless brothers and sisters who will pray for you…and count me as just one of them.
👍:extrahappy::thankyou:
 
Your fortunate. And, I’m sure your heart is in the right place, but, your exultation of your own perseverance may do little for the OP other than to discourage him, and give him feelings of inadequacy…
Exultation? I was trying to encourage the OP. I think it’s time that I stop posting here. It seems there’s always some uncharitable individual ready to criticize and hurt feelings. I’m sorry if I offended anyone.

Good luck, JosefJosep, you’ll do just fine! God loves you always!
 
I feel as if I don’t have much time for God anymore. Between college and a job, it’s difficult to just read a book on theology or really digest scripture. It just feels like there are too many things going on sometimes.
Go to mass whenever convenient. Saturday or Sunday? Say a quick hail mary in the morning. Prayers do not have to be long.
 
Wonderful posts from all of you. And yes, I have been through burn-out periods in college…exhausting. I sometimes feel like more is better when it comes to my relationship with God, whether it be more theological reading, more scripture, prayer etc. The problem is that I sometimes feel a compulsion to do these things rather than a desire.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top