Godparenthood

• Thread starter Thread starter Mike
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike

Hello,

I am curious when Godparenthood or sponsorship started in the Church history? I really liked the concept of that because in protestantism, there is none for baptism. I don’t understand why protestants doesn’t implement the idea of Godparenthood or sponsorship. Does anyone know about its origins? Links to more information will be also appreciated. 👍

Thanks!
Mike

40.png
Mike:
Hello,

I am curious when Godparenthood or sponsorship started in the Church history? Does anyone know about its origins? Links to more information will be also appreciated. 👍

Thanks!
Mike
Godparents have a long and important Catholic history.

The Church first introduced the role of the baptismal sponsor, or godparent, sometime between the end of the apostolic age and A.D. 150.The godparent spoke for the infant, who was unable to cooperate actively in baptism.

To ensure that their children received as much help as possible, many parents gave them numerous godparents. For example, Joan of Arc, had five godparents. (They are noted in her trial transcripts.)

In 1563, the Council of Trent limited the number of godparents to one male and one female. The ways in which some godparents upheld their social obligations resulted in legislation designed to curb their zeal.
Homily:
JPII described godparents’ important obligation.

“A duty,” he said, “is imposed … in a special way on parents and godparents: that of responsibly educating the newly baptized and helping them to grow in a Christian way.”
The Church takes the role of godparents so seriously it made their religious-instruction task a Church office (see Catechism of the Catholic Church, No. 1255). It also has special requirements for godparents.

The Code of Canon Law stipulates that each child should have at least one baptismal sponsor, either male or female; two sponsors, one of each sex, are also permissible (Canon 873). Sponsors must be baptized, confirmed and practicing Catholics who regularly pray, attend Mass, participate in the sacraments and are faithful to their obligations as Catholics (Canon 874). Godparents must also be at least 16 years old, although exceptions can be made for a just cause; and they can’t be the parents of the child (Canon 874).

Godparents are to maintain a close spiritual bond of Christian example and encouragement for their Godchildren. Some people also stipulate in their wills that in case of the death of both parents the Godparents are to be the childs guardian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back