R
Reuben_J
Guest
Hi bro Crumpy, thank you for your interesting post. You are most welcome to chip in here. The OP wants to hear various view points and insight on the subject. It makes us all the richer to hear them considering that this is principally about God. This is one subject that cuts through the heart but many times can be misunderstood and difficult to comprehend. I suppose it’s natural, for our ways are far from God’s and likewise we need to be inspired and with grace through each other wisdom; something may just touch us and we can learn for the better.There’s a conversation going on in this thread, and it has advanced from the starting point. But, I’d like to offer something about the beginning of the discussion -maybe!
I’ve been reading Jewish commentaries on Genesis and others,
There is only one God, and His justice and mercy are infinitely linked.
…
…
I hope this helps with the original post.
You are right on there on the topic of the thread and have given us useful background of the Torah (Genesis in particular). It is awesome that the Jews believe that the Torah was composed thousands of years before the creation! We should listen to this more often so that we are able to appreciate the uniqueness of the Bible.
In my intention of prodding us into discussing the topic, I have mentioned about God’s meting out punishment that was seemingly not proportion to the crime committed. Yet he is true to his covenant. Nevertheless for the woman the pangs of her childbearing will be intensified; and in pain shall she bring forth her children.
From what have been discussed, it would be interesting if we could have one word for God’s justice. What is God’s justice? What kind of Justice God has and how does he implement it?
Is God’s justice love? Is it mercy? Is it cruel? (And don’t be surprised by the question – I nearly got into a fight with an atheist who asserted as much). And once we truly understand his justice, would it make us jump and praise the Lord and say that he is great or would we be crestfallen and think that his justice is too harsh considering what he is he says he is.
God bless.