Going out to eat/hanging out with others?

  • Thread starter Thread starter pm2222
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pm2222

Guest
If a person is invited to go out to eat with a group of people who use bad language and things simmilar to that, should that person go to eat with them or not? I am asking because I know Jesus ate with sinners, but I do not know if this is a situation in a similar context to when Jesus ate with sinners. Any advice would be great thanks!
 
If a person is invited to go out to eat with a group of people who use bad language and things simmilar to that, should that person go to eat with them or not? I am asking because I know Jesus ate with sinners, but I do not know if this is a situation in a similar context to when Jesus ate with sinners. Any advice would be great thanks!
Ohhhh boy, if you plan on never eating unless it’s with a “non sinner” than I can assure you you won’t be eating for a veerrryyyy long time.

PS - We are ALL “sinners.” Including you. 😉
 
If a person is invited to go out to eat with a group of people who use bad language and things simmilar to that, should that person go to eat with them or not? I am asking because I know Jesus ate with sinners, but I do not know if this is a situation in a similar context to when Jesus ate with sinners. Any advice would be great thanks!
Jesus shared a meal with sinners to convert them. If you think these people will have a bad effect on you then you shouldn’t go.
 
Ohhhh boy, if you plan on never eating unless it’s with a “non sinner” than I can assure you you won’t be eating for a veerrryyyy long time.

PS - We are ALL “sinners.” Including you. 😉
With all due respect, the sinners Jesus shared a meal with out of mercy weren’t exactly the 12 apostles. Even then.
 
Ohhhh boy, if you plan on never eating unless it’s with a “non sinner” than I can assure you you won’t be eating for a veerrryyyy long time.

PS - We are ALL “sinners.” Including you. 😉
But not everyone is a murderer, or a traitor.

And not everyone is called to minister to serious sinners.

Use your common sense. In the first place, if being around these people makes you uncomfortable, then don’t be around them. You don’t have to be friends with people just because they live in your complex, or go to your school.
 
What do you mean have a bad effect on me? I am not going to go out and start saying bad words by being around them, but I may look at them in a negative way when they do this.
 
What do you mean have a bad effect on me? I am not going to go out and start saying bad words by being around them, but I may look at them in a negative way when they do this.
What would be your reason for wanting to go out with them? Would they even invite you, in the first place - and if so, why? (Do they see you as one of themselves, in some way?)
 
I was invited to go out to eat, I know some of the people, but I don’t like how they talk sometimes.
 
If a person is invited to go out to eat with a group of people who use bad language and things simmilar to that, should that person go to eat with them or not? I am asking because I know Jesus ate with sinners, but I do not know if this is a situation in a similar context to when Jesus ate with sinners. Any advice would be great thanks!
Don’t worry about it unless it becomes an occassion of sin. You have to have friends but try to make friends with people who are wholesome and have solid spiritual values. I know it is hard to do sometimes, but try.

👍
 
I was invited to go out to eat, I know some of the people, but I don’t like how they talk sometimes.
It’s totally okay (a strategy I use often) to enjoy their company and when the conversation becomes objectionable to you, distract with an appropriate topic that is of interest to everyone. This strategy does, however, require putting thought into appropriate topics of conversation beforehand.

Good luck! 🙂
 
But not everyone is a murderer, or a traitor.

And not everyone is called to minister to serious sinners.

Use your common sense. In the first place, if being around these people makes you uncomfortable, then don’t be around them. You don’t have to be friends with people just because they live in your complex, or go to your school.
He didn’t specify “serious” sinners, or murders or traitors for that matter. He just said “sinners!” Lol.

I was merely pointing out that we are ALL sinners. 🙂

It’s kind of a pet peeve of mine to see people throwing that word around like we aren’t ALL sinners by nature.
 
If a person is invited to go out to eat with a group of people who use bad language and things simmilar to that, should that person go to eat with them or not? I am asking because I know Jesus ate with sinners, but I do not know if this is a situation in a similar context to when Jesus ate with sinners. Any advice would be great thanks!
I’d say it would depend on the language, is it mild swear words, or taking the Lord’s name in vain. My husband and I try not to swear, but we have friends that do, and they try to be respectful of our feelings. I am not offended by the mild language, but when the night gets late, the drinks start taking effect and the language gets stronger it’s time for us to leave. I hate to hear the Lord’s name in vain and other vulgar words.

I am not judging them, they are good friends and would do anything for someone in need, but if we stayed when they were using that kind of language I would feel like I was condoning it’s use.
 
I’d say it would depend on the language, is it mild swear words, or taking the Lord’s name in vain. My husband and I try not to swear, but we have friends that do, and they try to be respectful of our feelings. I am not offended by the mild language, but when the night gets late, the drinks start taking effect and the language gets stronger it’s time for us to leave. I hate to hear the Lord’s name in vain and other vulgar words.

I am not judging them, they are good friends and would do anything for someone in need, but if we stayed when they were using that kind of language I would feel like I was condoning it’s use.
👍
 
I was invited to go out to eat, I know some of the people, but I don’t like how they talk sometimes.
If you are not comfortable in someone’s company then you don’t hang out. It is as simple as that. We are not obliged to be friends with every person we ever meet.
 
I think this is a problem that requires a lot of discernment and prayer. We seem to get conflicting directions in Scripture - although whenever one verse in Scripture seems to contradict another, it’s a sure sign that we’re misunderstanding one or both.

There’s Proverbs 13:20 which seems to be a clear “no”: “He who walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.”

Then we have Matthew 5: 14-16: “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven.”

Obviously we can’t let our light shine into the world if we cut ourselves off completely from sinners. As Debora123 pointed out, we’re all sinners anyway, most of us are probably mortal sinners at least occasionally. So how do we reconcile these two teachings?

I think the answer is in 1 Corinthians 5: 9-13 where Paul says: “I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world. But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so-called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler—not even to eat with such a one. For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church? But those who are outside, God judges. Remove the wicked man from among yourselves.”

This is a perfect blending of Jesus’ example of preaching to sinners (outside the Church), and the common-sense of Proverbs that if someone hangs out with “fools” all the time he’ll become a fool too. The key is that a “fool” is someone who claims to be holy (inside the Church and following Christ’s teachings), but obviously isn’t making an effort to give up their old sinful lifestyle.

When you’re with people who aren’t part of the body of Christ yet, you have to remember that they need the light you have inside and you should constantly try to be a good influence on them. But you have to remember to keep yourself separate from them spiritually, because in reality you are separate. You’re part of the Church and they’re not…yet. 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top