Going to an event for a pro-abortion senator

  • Thread starter Thread starter McatholicN
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McatholicN

Guest
Tomorrow at my school a Democratic senator, who supports abortion, the HHS mandate, probably gay marriage, etc., will be speaking at my school. I can go if I choose and I think it would be very interesting (I mean, how often is it that you get to see your senator?). But would it be sinful matter (possibly grave?) to attend, considering his positions which are directly opposed to Church teachings in many areas? Is my attendance showing support for him and his anti-life/marriage beliefs? (It’s not a campaign event - he’s not running for re-election this year.)
 
First of all, do you go to a public school or a Catholic school? I only ask, because it seems to me that a Catholic school ought not host someone who supports such positions. If it’s a public school, I hope they would afford the same opportunity to someone on the other side of the aisle.

All that aside, no it certainly is not a sin to go listen to him speak. You might even wear a pro-life t-shirt, voicing your opposition to his policy positions. They will probably give you time for Q and A after he is done speaking. I would NOT recommend you ask him a question about abortion/pro life/pro family measures. Politicians are professionals at answering questions and I GUARANTEE you will not be able to win an argument with him. What will happen is his position, unreasonable as it is, will appeal to emotion that most young people, sadly, can’t reason past. What will happen is more will agree with him. Nw, if he brings the issue up, that’s a whole different matter. In that case, you might speak up so the pro-life side has a voice.

There are a lot of variables here, but the bottom line is no, it’s not sinful at all to go. You don’t support him. There is nothing wrong with listening to what he has to say. Just don’t get caught up in the lies.
 
First of all, do you go to a public school or a Catholic school? I only ask, because it seems to me that a Catholic school ought not host someone who supports such positions. If it’s a public school, I hope they would afford the same opportunity to someone on the other side of the aisle.

All that aside, no it certainly is not a sin to go listen to him speak. You might even wear a pro-life t-shirt, voicing your opposition to his policy positions. They will probably give you time for Q and A after he is done speaking. I would NOT recommend you ask him a question about abortion/pro life/pro family measures. Politicians are professionals at answering questions and I GUARANTEE you will not be able to win an argument with him. What will happen is his position, unreasonable as it is, will appeal to emotion that most young people, sadly, can’t reason past. What will happen is more will agree with him. Nw, if he brings the issue up, that’s a whole different matter. In that case, you might speak up so the pro-life side has a voice.

There are a lot of variables here, but the bottom line is no, it’s not sinful at all to go. You don’t support him. There is nothing wrong with listening to what he has to say. Just don’t get caught up in the lies.
Yep. Nothing wrong with listening to what the other side has to say…it pays to know how the enemy works.
 
Tomorrow at my school a Democratic senator, who supports abortion, the HHS mandate, probably gay marriage, etc., will be speaking at my school. I can go if I choose and I think it would be very interesting (I mean, how often is it that you get to see your senator?). But would it be sinful matter (possibly grave?) to attend, considering his positions which are directly opposed to Church teachings in many areas? Is my attendance showing support for him and his anti-life/marriage beliefs? (It’s not a campaign event - he’s not running for re-election this year.)
You could pass out a voter guide to people so people know what both parties stand for.
 
It is not a sin to listen.

Wearing a prolife t-shirt or passing out Catholic voter guides are truly excellent ideas to stand up to the atheistic agenda.
 
I think we need to be cautious about over-estimating our own importance and assuming that the whole world is watching our every move and making assumptions on our beliefs accordingly. 😉

There’s nothing wrong with hearing out those we disagree with. How could we ever hope to engage in a useful discussion if we don’t do this?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top