Gonzaga University

• Thread starter Thread starter Chrysologus400
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chrysologus400

I got accepted into Gonzaga University in Spokane, WA earlier this year to pursue an MA in religious studies. But now I am reconsidering going because I’ve been doing internet research on the professors in the department of religious studies and have already discovered that three of them are dissenters. All in all, I am getting a very strong impression that the department is in poor shape. Does anyone here know more about the university, or perhaps has gone there? Does anyone have any Catholic graduate schools that they would recommend? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ohio is outstanding, and I hear that their MA-Theology grads have excellent lay ministry (paying job/career) prospects in dioceses and parishes that are thrilled to have them. A nun I once worked with, Sr. Johanna Paruch, FSMG, is a professor of catechetics there and is outstanding. Ave Maria University in Naples, Florida really seems to be taking off (I hear jokes about how it’s Steubenville with perfect weather!). Be very careful especially at the master’s level where you have a great deal of coursework rather than research and thesis writing. Dissenting professors will be a big influence on you at worst and a disappointment at best. You might also be interested in major seminaries that have a lay master’s program; seminaries are rapidly improving.

40.png
Chrysologus400:
Does anyone here know more about the university, or perhaps has gone there?
Check out National Catholic Register’s report on Gonzaga University.
40.png
Chrysologus400:
Does anyone have any Catholic graduate schools that they would recommend?
Try the list of Mandatum schools. They “publicly require all Catholic theology professors to have the mandatum (their bishop’s recognition of their pledge to teach in communion with the magisterium of the Church).” Sounds like a good standard to me!

God bless,
Lily628

Father Robert Spitzer, a very orthodox priest, is the president. I suggest you write him w/ your concern. He has been on EWTN for 2 years or so and wrote “Healing the Culture” which is used in pro life work and education.

I do not know much about this university, but do here good things from it. You might want to do some research on it. I believe the name of it is Auvey Maria, in Naples, FL. Sorry if I have miss spelled. Good luck and God Bless

Don’t give up on the Zags, Chrys. It’ll be a great experience. Follow the earlier advice and e-mail Father Spitzer.

John

40.png
MJE:
Father Robert Spitzer, a very orthodox priest, is the president. I suggest you write him w/ your concern. He has been on EWTN for 2 years or so and wrote “Healing the Culture” which is used in pro life work and education.
Somehow I forgot that. Thanks for reminding me. I will email him.

Franciscan University of Steubenville has an excellent theology program. I would recommend that school to anyone. I graduated from there.

www.franciscan.edu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back