Good Catholic Books?

• Thread starter Thread starter JKirkLVNV
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JKirkLVNV

My family usually gives me bookstore gift certificates (Borders) for Christmas. I’m wondering what everyone here thinks are the essestials for lectio divina? I think this could be a really good continuing thread, as well. We could rec. books to each other. Yesterday, I bought Sheed’s Theology for Beginners (the edition for which Mr. Keating wrote a foreword), as well as George Weigel’s The Truth of Catholicism. I already had Mr. Keating’s book Catholicism and Fundamentalism. I have a couple bios. on JPII, as well as Blessed John XXIII, Pius XII, and Leo XIII. I have some Merton and Lewis. Anything anyone would like to rec., Marian, Eucharistic, Church Fathers, poetry, fiction, anything?

I really enjoyed Bud McFarlane’s (I apologize if I mispelled his name) 3 fictions.

They are Pierced by a Sword, Conceived Without Sin, and I forget the other. I donated them to my church’s library…my excuse for not remembering the title of one of them :o

They are all very entertaining Catholic reading. It made me wish I had a close-knit family of Catholic pals. All my Catholic friends are the cafeteria types (mainly concerning artificial birth control but that’s another thread!), and I pray for them all the time!!!

Anyhow, those books are available to anyone for free from www.catholicity.com You just pay $1 for shipping perbook and a donation if you want to. They have lots of cool catholic freebies!

The Navarre Bibles are great for lectio divina. They contain the english translation, the latin translation and a very thorough commentary for all the books of the bible.

To quote the back of the book it says, " The Navarre Bible, an edition of Sacred Scripture prepared by members of the faculty of Theology of Navarre University, consists of the New Vulgate, the Reivesed Standard Version, and commentaries. The commentaries provide explanationsof the doctrinal and practical meaning of the scripture text, drawing on a rich variety of resources-Church documents, the exegesis of Fathers and Doctors, and the works of prominent spiritual writers, particularly the Venerable J. Escriva, who initiated the Navarre Bible project.

It is a great help to me for meditation ideas. 😃

Peace,
Jen

Next to the Scriptures the lives of saints are always good to meditate on.

I’d also recommend Imitation of Christ by Thomas 'a Kempis.

My favorite meditaitons are on the life of Christ. I’d highly recommend *To Know Christ Jesus * by Frank Sheed and Life of Christ by Fulton Sheen.

Here is also a list of recommendations from one of my favorite apologists, Dave Armstrong:

amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/listmania/list-browse/-/UXMZOD3SNADF/qid%3D1091139216/sr%3D5-1/ref%3Dsr%5F5%5F1/002-3380001-9655262

Finally, if you go to the Catholic Spectator news page, they always have a fine selection of books featured in the left hand margin:

catholic-spectator.com/digest2/index.aspx

I am finishing an interptreation of Catherine of Sienna’s “Dialogue,” and wish I had discoverred it sooner. It is the most inspirational and uplifting book I have ever read, aside from the Bible, and have read writings from quite a few of the saints.

40.png
JKirkLVNV:
My family usually gives me bookstore gift certificates (Borders) for Christmas. I’m wondering what everyone here thinks are the essestials for lectio divina? I think this could be a really good continuing thread, as well. We could rec. books to each other. Yesterday, I bought Sheed’s Theology for Beginners (the edition for which Mr. Keating wrote a foreword), as well as George Weigel’s The Truth of Catholicism. I already had Mr. Keating’s book Catholicism and Fundamentalism. I have a couple bios. on JPII, as well as Blessed John XXIII, Pius XII, and Leo XIII. I have some Merton and Lewis. Anything anyone would like to rec., Marian, Eucharistic, Church Fathers, poetry, fiction, anything?
Anything by Fulton Sheen and Scott Hahn will not lead you astray. Good reading.

I’d like to second Fidelis’s recommendation of Imitation of Christ.

I’d also add St. Francis de Sales’s *Introduction tto the Devout Life *which should be available at any large book store.

I’m currently reading Fr. DuBay’s Fire Within, which I’d also highly recommend.

Also, you can’t go wrong with anything by G.K. Chesterton (especially Orthodoxy).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back