Good, clean and interesting authors for teens

  • Thread starter Thread starter bjj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ll probably face some opposition, but: Harry Potter!

If they havent read them, the books are engrossing and interesting, and I do not see anything wrong with them morally - the ideal in them is treating others with respect, preventing harm etcetc. There are good guys who are good and bad guys who are bad. Oh, and Dumbledore’s sexuality is not mentioned in the books in any way, JK only seems to have decided on that afterwards…

And there is magic in them but there is magic in many of the other ‘good’ suggestions. Narnia isn’t exactly realistic! Just because Lewis was a strong Christian doesnt make the books themselves more Christian, both Narnia and the HP books have a strong theme of doing good and fighting evil, as well as some parallels with the Bible.
My kids enjoyed Harry Potter.

I like this series by Janette Oke

amazon.com/Seasons-Heart-Forever-Springs-Promise/dp/0764206532/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267895636&sr=1-3
 
Thanks, I’m so excited to be able to suggest some great authors for my girls!
 
If they enjoy fantasy they might enjoy these books/series

I really enjoy The Ranger’s Apprentice by John Flanagan, they are probably written for a 12 year old and the main character is male. However, I was in college when I discovered them and really enjoyed them. I just needed a really good story and they provided it, along with good character development. It stays completely clean though out the series (book 7 has just been published in the US). It does get a little violent, but in the battle hero kind of sense.

Ella Enchanted is also a good book, again probably more suited for the younger, but the older will probably like it too.

Crown Duel by Sherwood Smith is an excellent book, again clean, but is probably more suited for the older, as it deals with plots, rebellion (as in a group is trying to depose and evil king), and similar themes.

Dealing with Dragons by Patricia Wrede is a series that I enjoyed when I was younger. Written for the middle school age maybe slightly younger.

I used to enjoy books by Tamora Pierce, but sadly many of her books have active agendas pushing birth control, premarital sex, and gay sex. 😦 So I would stay away from these. (clarification: The series Circle of Magic is actually clean and innocent, and maybe the sequel series The Circle Opens (I can’t guarantee since it has been awhile since I have read those) But the sequel book The Will of the Empress is not clean, so in general I would stay away from these books.
 
Louis de Wohl? He writes the lives of saints. They might be a little younger than teen but I didn’t mind them as a grownup.

Tolstoy’s short stories might be interesting. I also like the fairy tales of George MacDonald.
 
Regina Doman has a fairytale series out that I enjoyed…she is Catholic. 🙂
These books are excellent. well writtten with recognizably Catholic characters. My daughter (16) is reading them now and really enjoying them.

I also agree that there is a world of good books out there if you look through classics and read originals of books we now consider ‘childish’. The original Winnie the Pooh and Alice in Wonderland are really higher level reads than you would think!

Other great books if fantasy and ‘magic’ are acceptable are “5 Childrenn and It” and other books by E. Nesbit. Also the Half Magic series by Edward Eager.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top