Good News Bible

  • Thread starter Thread starter Litvak
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Litvak

Guest
Hi I couldn’t find anything in the forums about the Good News Bible. Our Catholic school is giving out Good New Bibles to the 6th graders in a month. I remember being upset when my duaghetr got one 2 years ago because it had some books I had never heard of i.e Lucy and the Dragon… Now my son is in 6th grade and is really looking foward to receiving a Bible. Is the Good News Bible the standard for children in the Catholic faith?🤷
 
I don’t think it’s the issue many inflate it to be. I would only worry about it if you sincerely believe you daughter or son is actually going to read it, and read it at level in which translation and version issues need to be taken into consideration. Undirected, at the most they’ll probably read Gen 1-11 and a couple of the Gospels with John being the least favored. So given this and unless the “highly favored” vs “full of grace” contention is important to you then there isn’t much to worry about.

Peterk
 
Hi I couldn’t find anything in the forums about the Good News Bible. Our Catholic school is giving out Good New Bibles to the 6th graders in a month. I remember being upset when my duaghetr got one 2 years ago because it had some books I had never heard of i.e Lucy and the Dragon… Now my son is in 6th grade and is really looking foward to receiving a Bible. Is the Good News Bible the standard for children in the Catholic faith?🤷
The Good News Bible, while a dynamic equivalence Bible, IS a Bible that has been officially approved for use by Catholics. (In other words, it sacrifices a literal translation in order to make it more easy to understand.) It’s the one that I grew up with in CCD. Some of the concerns that you have are not really concerns. As you probably know, the Catholic Bible has seven books in the Old Testament that Protestants do not use. They are called the Deuterocanonicals. They include:

Tobit
Judith
Wisdom
Sirach (also known as Ben Sira or Ecclesiasticus)
Baruch (which also includes an addition from the Greek version sometimes known as the Letter of Jeremiah)
1 Maccabees
2 Maccabees

What fewer people realize is that because the Catholic Bible was translated off the Greek translation (the Septuagint) rather than the Hebrew translation, there are some other slight differences. The Catholic Bible has a few more passages that were added to the Book of Daniel. Much of the time they are included within the text of Daniel itself, but sometimes, they’re presented separately. That’s probably why you’re not aware of them, because usually they’re just placed in Daniel and no one’s the wiser. Anyway, when these stories ARE separated, they are known as:

The Prayer of Azariah and the Song of the Three Holy Children
Susanna
Bel and the Dragon

All of these books and stories are FULLY part of the Catholic Bible, have no worries!

Now, there IS a section in the Good News Bible usually called “Some Additional Books”. This includes 1 Esdras, 2 Esdras, and the Prayer of Manasseh. They are included because some branches of Orthodoxy regard them as canonical and part of scripture, while Catholics do not. (The Good News Bible was structured so that it could also be used by the Orthodox, although I can’t say how many actually do.) That said, Catholics DO regard them as interesting documents of the time and worth reading, even if we don’t consider them inspired.

I hope that helps!
 
The American Bible Society has also put out Catholic editions of the Good News Bible (which is now called “Good News Translation” by the way). These editions have the traditional Catholic order as found in the NAB and the NJB.
 
What fewer people realize is that because the Catholic Bible was translated off the Greek translation (the Septuagint) rather than the Hebrew translation, there are some other slight differences.
Just to clarify, Catholic Bibles utilize the Massoretic Text (Hebrew) text–with a few exceptions–for translating the Old Testament. For books for which there is no Hebrew text, such as the books you’ve listed (some were not composed in Hebrew), the Septuagint is used. This has been the case with translations since the encyclical Divino Afflante Spiritu (1943).
 
Hi I couldn’t find anything in the forums about the Good News Bible. Our Catholic school is giving out Good New Bibles to the 6th graders in a month. I remember being upset when my duaghetr got one 2 years ago because it had some books I had never heard of i.e Lucy and the Dragon… Now my son is in 6th grade and is really looking foward to receiving a Bible. Is the Good News Bible the standard for children in the Catholic faith?🤷
Where is Lucy and the Dragon referenced? I’ve never heard of that before. Thanks.
 
She’s thinking of Bel and the Dragon, which is an addition to the Book of Daniel.
That’s what I thought, but I wasn’t sure. Hope she replies.

For Catholics, Bel and the Dragon is part of Scripture, not an addition to it.
 
That’s what I thought, but I wasn’t sure. Hope she replies.

For Catholics, Bel and the Dragon is part of Scripture, not an addition to it.
Thank you for clearing that up. I own a Good News Bible and mine does not include “Lucy and the Dragon” so I thought this must be some fake bible discussed here. :o
 
Where is Lucy and the Dragon referenced? I’ve never heard of that before. Thanks.
She’s thinking of Bel and the Dragon, which is an addition to the Book of Daniel.
Ah. OK. I read this and I went::eek::eek::eek: Huh???
But that makes sense; I just don’t think of it as a separate book.

The Good News Bible is often given to children, in place of the “Bible story books” of my childhood. It gives kids the whole story, as it were, instead of just someone’s :cool:favorite parts. I believe it is written on about a 3rd grade reading level. (Which means, in today’s world, that it is about the reading level of middle school kids…The teacher’s daughter is trying very hard to contain herslef about the last part).
 
Hi h. I remember being upset when my duaghetr got one 2 years ago because it had some books I had never heard of i.e Lucy and the Dragon…
we use these for middle grades because they are inexpensive and easier to read, especially for those children who are bilingual, and their parents for whom English is the second language. I never saw any such story as you describe. By junior high and high school however they need to be using the NAB, or the translation approved for liturgy in your country. The GNT is a paraphrase, does come in a Catholic version with the complete OT, and the least expensive are distributed through the American Bible Society. The GNT is a paraphrase in what is supposed to be contemporary English but while it does not use slang, by definition that will become outdated within a couple of generations. It is neither a literal nor dynamic equivalent translation. That means it loses a lot in rendering Greek and Hebrew words and expressions that have a specific connotation into English. It is on par with a good children’s story bible IMO (which are usually much more expensive for bulk purchase), but provides them with practice in looking up verses.

there are literally dozens of threads here on bible translations most of which discuss GNT and others in depth and can give more examples of specific problems.
 
I don’t think it’s the issue many inflate it to be. I would only worry about it if you sincerely believe you daughter or son is actually going to read it, and read it at level in which translation and version issues need to be taken into consideration. Undirected, at the most they’ll probably read Gen 1-11 and a couple of the Gospels with John being the least favored. So given this and unless the “highly favored” vs “full of grace” contention is important to you then there isn’t much to worry about.

Peterk
Actually, other Catholic Bibles also mistranslate the full of grace part.

And coming to her, he said, Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you.
(Luke 1:28 NAB-A)

He went in and said to her, ‘Rejoice, you who enjoy God’s favour! The Lord is with you.’
(Luke 1:28 NJB)
 
Actually, other Catholic Bibles also mistranslate the full of grace part.

And coming to her, he said, Hail, favored one! The Lord is with you.
(Luke 1:28 NAB-A)

He went in and said to her, ‘Rejoice, you who enjoy God’s favour! The Lord is with you.’
(Luke 1:28 NJB)
Actually, “mistranslate” might be too strong of a word. The translation in English is technically correct, but because of the nuances of Greek, Catholics do not consider it sufficiently clear to convey the subtleties of the original phrase, which indicates a condition that has always existed for Mary, as opposed to something that was bestowed in the recent past.
 
It is good for young people who are starting out reading the bible or for those were English is a second language. But let us be honest isn’t a really good translation, despite what it says on the cover and it needs to be updated. As soon as possible I have them reading a better version. Actually I find the NRSV is written in clear English, and this with slight changes is used up here in Canada. I cannot say about the NAB, because I don’t have a copy of it and the only time I encounter it is when dealing streaming audio and video from US Catholic sites. The NRSV gives a basis to talk to one of my brothers who is a member of liberal baptist church.🙂
 
Hi,

(For me: Post nothing you have not done, if possible.)

In roughly 1990 I started a research project, scientifically. (I did this because it was the most accurate form of knowing there is if you include religion as a part of science. I do that and I know others who have also done this. It is “Scientific Heresy” to include God, in research, but when properly calibrated (He is what He is. He does what He does. He does it this way.) it is a useful tool in science.

Philosophy, but practical philosopy, is also used. I used it to see if I was lazy in thinking anywhere. Philosophy, the idea, used to the extreme, is useless, as it uses, in the extreme, nothing which has been proven, thus it is opinion that is being expresed at that point; not facts.

Now, This particular, home project, was for my wife, my daughter, and for a certain religion, who made certain claims.

(In Romans, Paul says God causes any of us to know Him, and it is really really really… not our own work.)

In the end, The Bible scientifically withstood all tests that are normal to science. The Bible in a proof, proved to be true when subjected to five controlled experiments. More of course would have been done if needed, but, there was no ambiguity in the results, anywhere. (Scientifically.)

The Good News Bible, was extremely supplemental, in this investigation. While being able to give the ideas clearly, it was able to limit the research into what is meant by any group of passages, when added to all the other passages. It made clear what was confusing much of the time. Yet, it is not useful alone. All other Bibles, and of course, all other sources are needed. Some of these Bibles of today conflict. It is necessary to know which, in research, is correct in order to proceed.

Many times only reading the Good News Bible, gave clarity. Sure, Vatican II’s opening paragraphs give information also, which is backed up clearly by the Bible. Vatican II’s opening paragraphs are a “Good News” type of Bible for some of us.

It is always okay to use a simpler, but hopefully deep account of what is true.

(In using the word and idea of deep, I am plagarizing, the man, Saint Pope Pius X’s, view of things. thus because I never used the word deep, he gets the credit, ({And God of course.}), as that idea came from him not me. It’s important to give credit where credit is due (the definition, the Bible definition of the word: Glory) in God’s world.)

When God, causes anyone to know Him, it is simple to them. They understand precisely what God means. If God can make it simple to Peter, just a poor (economically poor) fisherman, then He can make it simple for anyone.

In Paul’s case, he was going against the establishment of the time. He was going against the educated (In University ways.), He was going against governments. He was going against civilians, and God chose a man quite educated, quite part of the government then, to tell others about Him. Paul was a citizen of Rome. He was an educated man in the Jewish Religion of the times. He was quite the tool, chosen by God (Jusus in this case), to talk to people…like…him.

And he did.

Use what works. Make it correct. Test it to see if it is correct, or if blessed, let God let you know it is correct. God has many ways to get to all those, who He wishes to get to.

…Curt…
 
“for he has remembered me, his lowly servant! From now on all people will call me happy,” Luke 1:48 Todays English Version (Good News Bible)
This bothers me.

“Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.” Luke 1:48 DRB

“for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant.
From now on all generations will call me blessed,” Luke 1:48 NIV
 
It has been said that the best translation of the Bible to use is the one you read. For a young child, the GNB seems adequate to me. But I do agree, that as a child increases in age, better translations should be used.

There is an important opportunity here. I think it would be most appropriate to introduce your children to other translations by reviewing scripture quotes they have just looked up in the GNB and reading the same verses from one or more different translations. There are websites online (e.g. www.ibs.org/bibles/translations/) that allow you to do this.

The important point to communicate to your son or daughter is that different translations can have slightly different meanings; but that all English translations are just that, translations. To have the very best insight to the meaning of the text in the Bible, one must read it in the original translation with a cultural understanding of how the people living at the time a particular part of the Bible was written would understand that writing. That’s what scripture scholars do for their entire lives.

For the common man, the central meaning of the text in the Bible (any approved translation) is food for the soul. Bible reading is something all Christians, particularly Catholic Christians, should do daily for the health of the soul; just like having 3 meals a day for the health of the body.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top