Grace

• Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dizzy_dave

If a person is NOT in the state of grace, how can they or how do they resist temptation, I mean it is possible to be tempted in this condition (not in grace) and resist temptation, if one is in a state of sin. in my opinion we should not be able to resist, how is it then that we can resist when we are not in a state of grace?

By not being in a state of Grace, I presume that you mean being in a state of mortal sin. That would be a state of having no Sanctifying Grace in our soul.

But even in this state, we can still repent of our sin and turn back to God. We can also pray for forgiveness and seek reconciliation.

And from my old catechism lessons I recall that other kind of grace called actual grace–God’s help in overcoming temptation and doing good. God can send us actual grace even in a state of sin.

(The term ‘actual’ doesn’t mean it is somehow real and sanctifying grace isn’t. The distinction is that sanctifying grace is God’s abiding life and presence within us. Actual grace is God’s supernatural help given when and as needed.)

JimG

40.png
dizzy_dave:
If a person is NOT in the state of grace, how can they or how do they resist temptation, I mean it is possible to be tempted in this condition (not in grace) and resist temptation, if one is in a state of sin. in my opinion we should not be able to resist, how is it then that we can resist when we are not in a state of grace?
You could make an act of Contrition, & also a Spiritual Communion !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back