Gregorian chants

• Thread starter Thread starter serendipity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

serendipity

I am looking for a nice cd to help with meditation. There are so many on the market, and I was born way after Vatican II, so I am not very familiar with the titles, although I can understand some Latin form default (for a little while I had the luxury of living near a church that used some Latin, and I have studied Romance languages). I don’t even know if there are forms of Christian chants aside form Gregorian that help sooth the soul so well. I feel a bit sexist for saying this, as I am female, but I prefer the sounds of males voices chanting. What cds help you reflect and bring peace to your soul?

I hope that this is an appropriate place for this question. I consider it as a devotional tool. Thanks for your advice.

I have several CDs by the Benedictine monks of the Abbey of Santo Domingo de Silos in Spain; I would recommend any of them. One of them, entitled “Chant,” was an international hit several years ago.

DaveBj

Chant and the other CDs by the monks of Solemnes (sp?) are great. If you like the sound of a choir of male voices, look for CDs of Russian Orthodox music, all male voices, no accompaniment, heavenly music for meditation. Also look for Taize CDs, I like these in the car because the words and melodies are simple to learn and sing with, and these songs pop up in my mind for praise music at appropriate times.

remember, gregorian chants are actually prayers, many from the old mass. Also, they are hymns, and also the prayer from the liturgy of the hours.

Right now I have a CD from the FSSP. In Navtivitate Domini - which contains the chants for the four Masses of Christmas.

As well, from the library I have two CDs. Can’t read the cover much. Looks to be in German and by Father Godehard Joppich. The title the library gavis “Death and Resurrrection” asa these are Eater chants. The other CD I have from the library is from the Benedictine Monks of ther Abbey of Saint Maurice & Sainit Maur, Clervaux. HEre you have some of the more common chants like Ave Maria, Salve Regina, Adoro te, Te Deum, etc.

I’m looking to add to my CD collection chant wise. Beautiful music.

PS-Not Gregorian Chant, but the actual score - actual music from The Passion of The Christ is a great listen to as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back