Guardian Angel prayers

• Thread starter Thread starter agname
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

agname

I ran across this one…I thought it was quite beautiful…

“Dear Angel at my side, my good and loyal friend, you have been with me since the moment I was born. You are my own personal guardian, given me by God as my guide and protector, and you will stay with me till I die. He who created you and me gave me to you as your particular charge. You assisted in great joy at my baptism, when I became part of the Mystical Body of Christ, and was made a member of the household of God and an heir of heaven. You saw the dangers that beset my path, and, if I sinned, it was in spite of you. You envied me when Christ came to me in Holy Communion. Even though you probably were there among the angels that adored Him the night that He was born, you have not been able to receive Him as I can. O, help me to appreciate these gifts! Help me to realize, as you do, with every fiber of my being, that to serve Christ is to be a King! Help me steadfastly to avoid evil and do good and always guard my soul from sin. Protect me as well from physical evils as I go about my daily work. You will be with me all my life, and at the hour of my death. Help me to face death bravely, patiently, with great love of God, knowing that it is only through death that I can come to Him in heaven! Then, come with me to my Judge, and when the hour of my salvation comes, take me home to my Father, God. Amen.”

Call me old-fashioned, but I like the standard:

Angele Dei, qui custos est mihi,
me tibi commissum pietate superna;
hac hodie (nocte) illumina, custodi, rege, et guberna. Amen.

:angel1:

Angel of God, my guardian dear,
to whom His love commits me here,
ever this day (night) be at my side
to light and guard and rule and guide. Amen.

Yep…I keep it short and follow the old standard from childhood…plus it RYHMES! 😛

Faithful 2 Rome:
Yep…I keep it short and follow the old standard from childhood…plus it RYHMES! 😛
I love the depth and thought behind the first one. Saint Gertrude’s Guardian Angel prayer is my second favorite…Guardian Angel prayer.

Brevity really has no bearing on me. I’m sure some individuals love short Marian prayers…such as “Oh Mary conceived without sin…pray for us who recourse to you” instead of saying a “Hail Mary.” Personally, “The Memorare”…is my favorite Marian prayer.

Memorare, Opiisima Virgo Maria, non esse auditum a saeculo, quimquam ad tua currentem praesidia, tua implorantem auxilia, tua petentem suffragia, esse derelictum. Ego, tali animatus confidentia, ad te,Virgo virginum, Mater, curro; ad te venio; coram te gemens peccator assisto. Noli, Mater Verbi, verba mea despicere, sed audi propitia et exaudi. Amen.

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary,
that never was it known that anyone who fled to your protection,
implored your help or sought your intercession,
was left unaided.
Inspired with this confidence,
I fly to you, O Virgin of virgins, my Mother;
to you do I come, before you I stand, sinful and sorrowful.

O Mother of the Word Incarnate,
despise not my petitions,
but in your mercy hear and answer me.

Amen.

Angel sent by God to guide me,
Be my Light and walk beside me,
Be my Guardian and protect me,
And on the paths of life direct me. Amen!!

40.png
tee_eff_em:
Call me old-fashioned, but I like the standard:

Angele Dei, qui custos est mihi,
me tibi commissum pietate superna;
hac hodie (nocte) illumina, custodi, rege, et guberna. Amen.

:angel1:

Angel of God, my guardian dear,
to whom His love commits me here,
ever this day (night) be at my side
to light and guard and rule and guide. Amen.
It’s mihi? Wow… I need to correct my copy.

40.png
agname:
I ran across this one…I thought it was quite beautiful…

“Dear Angel at my side, my good and loyal friend, you have been with me since the moment I was born. You are my own personal guardian, given me by God as my guide and protector, and you will stay with me till I die. He who created you and me gave me to you as your particular charge. You assisted in great joy at my baptism, when I became part of the Mystical Body of Christ, and was made a member of the household of God and an heir of heaven. You saw the dangers that beset my path, and, if I sinned, it was in spite of you. You envied me when Christ came to me in Holy Communion. Even though you probably were there among the angels that adored Him the night that He was born, you have not been able to receive Him as I can. O, help me to appreciate these gifts! Help me to realize, as you do, with every fiber of my being, that to serve Christ is to be a King! Help me steadfastly to avoid evil and do good and always guard my soul from sin. Protect me as well from physical evils as I go about my daily work. You will be with me all my life, and at the hour of my death. Help me to face death bravely, patiently, with great love of God, knowing that it is only through death that I can come to Him in heaven! Then, come with me to my Judge, and when the hour of my salvation comes, take me home to my Father, God. Amen.”
How terribly depressing…for the angel, I mean. Seriously, doesn’t it make you feel sorry for him/her/it? Sure makes me feel good. But I would feel like I’m rubbing in the fact that I got it better than his kind…

Latin hijack
40.png
Yirmeyahu:
It’s mihi? Wow… I need to correct my copy.
Don’t sweat it. I’ve seen it both ways, I think the latter is far more common, but I learned the former first (heck, maybe my teacher just plain taught it to me wrong 😃 ) :

qui custos est mihi” = “who is guardian to me”

qui custos es mei” = “you who are my guardian”

The former is a dative of possession construction, the latter is more standard genitive of possession.

Thank you, Lord for our Guardian Angel, body, and soul.
Unite Us, Oh Blessed Trinity,
So we can serve your purpose in heaven and on earth.
We ask this in the +, Name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.
Amen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back