Guardian Angels-Names

• Thread starter Thread starter Pro-Life_Teen
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Pro-Life_Teen

Have you named your Guardian Angel? My father told me I could when I was younger, I chose the name I best liked at the time. Amy.

I have always been somewhat wary of *giving * my guardian angel a name, as it is my belief that every angel already has a name, a name given by God, which speaks his essence.

when I was a child in Catholic school we were each encouraged to ask our angel to tell us his name, but recently I have been vehemently criticized for advocating that practice on these forums, so you better watch out.

40.png
puzzleannie:
when I was a child in Catholic school we were each encouraged to ask our angel to tell us his name, but recently I have been vehemently criticized for advocating that practice on these forums, so you better watch out.
I guess your angel probably doesn’t really mind being given a human-selected name. It’s better than being ignored.

I, too, heard that it was WRONG to give a name to your guardian angel. Maybe someone will come along and tell us why?

40.png
JimG:
I have always been somewhat wary of *giving *my guardian angel a name, as it is my belief that every angel already has a name, a name given by God, which speaks his essence.
This is what I have always thought, too! Great minds think alike? God bless!

I do not recall giving mine his name – I just always knew it and I talked incessantly about him when I was little. Spirit Joey.

To name or not to name…

I just wonder if the CCC has any word on this matter, or is it just that certain people find it uncomfortable about the naming of your guardian angel.

Recently, last night to be exact, I decided to give my guardian angel a name. I believe that if you ask to give a name to your angel, the Holy Spirit may inspire you a name.

During the day yesterday one particular name just happened to come into my mind. And I wasn’t even thinking about naming my guardian angel. Then last night I was continuing reading the book I have started reading: A Travel Guide to Heaven by Anthony DeStefano (which I bought here from Catholic Answers). The chapter which was upcoming was entitled: Chapter 7-Our Tour Guides. Anthony speaks about this very issue.

Unless the Church discourages the naming of our guardian angel, (with documental proof) I see nothing wrong with it and find this a trivial subject. At least I would like to have the spiritual security knowing that the angel assigned to me, who looks over my shoulder 24/7/365 for my entire lifetime will not be ignored by just saying ‘hey guardian angel’, but a spiritual friend who keeps me company when I am lonely and always have my back and guides me towards the ultimate reward to praise God in Heaven. Thank you Xavier.

Go with God!
Edwin

Sir Knight:
I, too, heard that it was WRONG to give a name to your guardian angel. Maybe someone will come along and tell us why?
Hi Sir Knight,
I too thought you could name them until I saw a program on EWTN where Fr. Mitch Pacwa was interviewing Fr. John Horgan, who is an authority on angels and he said that we shouldn’t name them since God has a certain mission for them for each of us and that we could impede their mission by calling them by another name.

For example, if you named your Guardian Angel Joan and you asked the intercession of St Joan there could be some confusion…:confused: …it sort of made sense to me…
Anyway, the program aired on 5/5/04 and the video is available from EWTN Catalogue – MPV85 or the cassette MPC85. Hope this shed a little light.
God Bless,
Annunciata:)

Annunciata,

I too respect Father Pacwa. Fr. Horgan I don’t know. I just read last week that although the Catholic Church has not formally made a statement as to the existance of Guardian Angels Padre Pio, a Saint from Italy, talks to a hears the Guardian Angels of other people.
padrepio.catholicwebservices.com/ENGLISH/Guardian_Angel.htm
It is written that Guardian Angels are in the heart of the Church.

A man from the USA asked his G.A. to go tell Padre Pio of his trouble. Later, the Padre said of course I heard, do you think I am hard of hearing?

The words of Father Horgan were just that, “his words”. Don’t you think Padre Pio’s words carry more weight? Now to the thing about a G.A. being confused if you name him. Since the G.A. has one assignment - you - how could he get confused?

Years ago, after reading where Mother Teresa suggested naming ones G.A. our family did just that.

40.png
Exporter:
Annunciata,

I too respect Father Pacwa. Fr. Horgan I don’t know. I just read last week that although the Catholic Church has not formally made a statement as to the existance of Guardian Angels Padre Pio, a Saint from Italy, talks to a hears the Guardian Angels of other people.
padrepio.catholicwebservices.com/ENGLISH/Guardian_Angel.htm
It is written that Guardian Angels are in the heart of the Church.

A man from the USA asked his G.A. to go tell Padre Pio of his trouble. Later, the Padre said of course I heard, do you think I am hard of hearing?

The words of Father Horgan were just that, “his words”. Don’t you think Padre Pio’s words carry more weight? Now to the thing about a G.A. being confused if you name him. Since the G.A. has one assignment - you - how could he get confused?
Hi Exporter,
I have great respect for Padre Pio and I didn’t say that Fr. Horgan didn’t believe in them…he said in the interview that it wasn’t a good idea to name them…perhaps I got it confused for the reason stated for not naming them, but he definitely said it. That is why I posted the info about the show and when it aired. Quite frankly, I don’t see why it should matter but apparently he is an authority on Angels and I usually pay attention to what I hear and see on EWTN as I do have a very high regard for Fr. Mitch.
God Bless,
Annunciata:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back