Guardian Angels

• Thread starter Thread starter KowboyM
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KowboyM

I’ve never read it anywheres about Guardian Angels in the Gospels or Church Doctrine (maybe have not looked in the right places?) Although have read it’s recomended to pray to Saints, the angels and the dead, and they pray for us.
But yet back in elementary Catholic school of the 1950’s, we were taught by Sisters that every person has their own Guardian Angel assigned to them at birth and remain with you until you leave this world. There is even a prayer for them: “Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God’s Love commits me here; ever this day be at my side, to light, to guard, to rule and guide. Amen”. Now, where did that prayer come from?
I pray to mine daily, even have given him a name: “Inno” (short for “Innocence”). When I call upon ‘Inno’ in any spiritual need, he’s there to help during temptations to say other prayers to resist the temptation.
What is your knowledge or thoughts about Guardian Angels?

The Catechism covers angels at: scborromeo.org/ccc/p1s2c1p5.htm#328
CCC 335:
In her liturgy, the Church joins with the angels to adore the thrice-holy God. She invokes their assistance (in the funeral liturgy’s In Paradisum deducant te angeli. . .“May the angels lead you into Paradise. . .”]). Moreover, in the “Cherubic Hymn” of the Byzantine Liturgy, she celebrates the memory of certain angels more particularly (St. Michael, St. Gabriel, St. Raphael, and the guardian angels).
CCC 336:
From its beginning until death, human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession.202 "Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him to life."203 Already here on earth the Christian life shares by faith in the blessed company of angels and men united in God.
From the Cathechism Glossary:
CCC Glossary:
GUARDIAN ANGELS: Angels assigned to protect and intercede for each person (336). See Angel.
Here is a reference to guardian angels in a USCCB document for the lectionary, Tuesday Oct 2, 2001 (cycle B) that quotes from the prayer you mentioned: usccb.org/prolife/liturgy/31days.htm

So I guess those nuns steered you straight!

40.png
KowboyM:
I’ve never read it anywheres about Guardian Angels in the Gospels or Church Doctrine (maybe have not looked in the right places?)
The Catechism states, “From infancy to death human life is surrounded by their watchful care and intercession” (No. 336). St. Basil (d. 379) asserted, "Beside each believer stands an angel protector and shepherd leading him to life. " Most of us at an early age learned the little prayer to our guardian angel: "Angel of God, my guardian dear, to whom God’s love commits me here. Ever this day be at my side, to light, to guard, to rule, to guide. "

As members of the Church, we are conscious of the angels in our liturgical practices. At Mass, in the Preface before the Eucharistic Prayer’ we join with all of the angels and saints to sing the hymn of praise, “Holy, holy, holy… .” In Eucharistic Prayer, the priest prays, “Almighty God, we pray that your angel may (take this sacrifice to your altar in heaven.” In the Final Commendation of the Funeral Liturgy, the priest prays, “May the angels lead you into paradise; may the martyrs come to welcome you and take you to the holy city, the new and eternal Jerusalem.” Moreover, we celebrate in our liturgical calendar the Feasts of the Archangels (Sept. 29) and Guardian Angels (Oct. 2).
Now, where did that prayer come from?
Not sure where that one came from. I have always said it and love it. I also love St. Gertrude’s Guardian Angel Prayer

O most holy angel of God, appointed by God to be my guardian, I give you thanks for all the benefits which you have ever bestowed on me in body and in soul. I praise and glorify you that you condescended to assist me with such patient fidelity, and to defend me against all the assaults of my enemies. Blessed be the hour in which you were assigned me for my guardian, my defender and my patron. In acknowledgement and return for all your loving ministries to me, I offer you the infinitely precious and noble heart of Jesus, and firmly purpose to obey you henceforward, and most faithfully to serve my God. Amen.
What is your knowledge or thoughts about Guardian Angels?
I have always felt mine near to me especially in times of trouble or sorrow. I like to picture mine comforting me as the Angel comforted Christ in the Garden of His Agony. My angel has helped me through many trials in my life. I once saw my angel as a child, actually 4 of them surrounding my bed. I was supposedly dying according to the doctors. Yet, even though I was suppose to be unconscious and fading from this life, I remember saying the Guardian Angel prayer and seeing four angels surrounding me at each corner of my bed. I began to get well rather rapidly and surprised everyone at how quickly the crisis passed. No one of course believed me as a child of 8 that my Guardian Angels had prayed with me. But I know they were there so that’s all that really matters.

The question about Guardian Angels reminds me of the time when my now 7 year old niece was a baby. There are 2 instances involving the same niece. A little background: When K. was born, she had a pneumothorax (an air bubble outside of her lungs, in her chest cavity), and she was severely jaundiced. Naturally, she was in the NICU, and she stayed there about a week, and then she got to come home.
From the time she started to make babbling sounds, she would from time to time get a far off look and start babbling happily. Of course we didn’t really think anything of it-- she was a very happy baby when she wasn’t colicky (sp?).
Anyway, when K. finally began speaking in short sentences, she continued the behavior of cocking her head, and getting that faroff look. By that time, she would speak in a very low voice, so we could see her speaking, but not necessarily hear her. One day we were all at the dinner table, (she was about 3 years old then) and she did this. So I asked her what she was doing. She said, “I’m just talking.” I asked who she was talking to, and she said, “My angels”. I asked if she could see them, and if they talked back to her, and she pointed to a spot just over her shoulder and said “they’re right here”, and that they were talking to her. To her, it was the most natural and normal of events. I asked her a couple of years ago if she could still see her angels and talk to them, and she got this sad look on her face and said, “No, not anymore.”
The other incident with K. involves the Blessed Mother. In the hallway of my mother’s house is a drawing of the Blessed Mother. One day, when K was about 2 years old, she and my sister (her Mom) were looking at the picture, and K said, “I know who that is.” My sister asked her who it was, and K said, “She’s the Blessed Mother.” Nothing unusual about that, of course since my sister, her husband, and K were living with my mother. The unusual part is what she said next. She said to my sister, “Remember when I was born and I was in that crib at the hospital?” (At that point in her life, she had never slept anywhere besides my mother’s house after she was released from the NICU, and she was never in a hospital after her release, either.) My sister was floored that she knew she had been in a hospital. K. then pointed to the picture and said “that’s Jesus’s mother and she came to visit me when I was sick.” We were all just overwhelmed by her simple declaration.
My niece, and indeed my whole family, have been tremendously blessed by these experiences.

Have a great day!
Judy

Matthew 18:10:

“See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I assure you, their angels in heaven constantly behold my heavenly Father’s face.”

JimG

Me too… grew up in the last 50’s. I can’t even imagine what life would be like not knowing that I have my very own angel guarding me.

Maybe y’all might enjoy this cartoon… hope it’s still on that Web page.

It’s of a little baby in his/her mother’s womb… and the guardian angel in there with him/her.

catholic.net/culture_of_life/template_channel.phtml?channel_id=7

Me too… grew up in the last 50’s. I can’t even imagine what life would be like not knowing that I have my very own angel guarding me.

Maybe y’all might enjoy this cartoon… hope it’s still on that Web page.

It’s of a little baby in his/her mother’s womb… and the guardian angel in there with him/her.

catholic.net/culture_of_life/template_channel.phtml?channel_id=7

Can your guardian angel attend Mass if you don’t? During Mass I like to imagine the angels and saints who are there with us worshipping Jesus. A thought struck me recently concerning all the guardian angels of those who don’t attend Mass – when do they get their opportunity to worship and praise God? Do they exist is such a way that they can be by our side and in God’s presence even when we are not at Mass? For those who have excuses for not attending Mass, should we encourage them to participate in a “Take your Guardian Angel to Mass Day?” 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back