"Hand" print?

• Thread starter Thread starter seeker63
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

seeker63

I’m fond of the old-style Italian religious prints from Cromo NB and have bought quite a few from my church’s bookstore.

A few weeks ago I bought several more of these prints, but one had imagery that neither the clerk nor I were familiar with.

The picture is dominated by the right hand of Christ, with a wound in the palm, and emerging from a cloud. Cherubs are gathered ihn the upper right and left corners of the picture.

At the bottom of the picture, on either side of the hand, and resting on clouds, are four angels–one bearing a cushion with the three nails of the Crucifixion, one carrying hammer, tongs, the spear for piercing Christ’s side, and a rod with the sponge of vinegar, one carrying the Cross, and the fourth carrying the crown of thorns.

On the tip of each finger is a cloud. The Christ Child stands above the thumb, the Virgin Mary on the index finger, St. Joseph on the middle finger, and I assume Sts. Anne and Joachim on the last two fingers, though I’m not clear about them.

Is anyone familiar with this image? It doesn look somewhat peculiar.

I just got confirmed last month, and though my RCIA class lasted four months, we didn’t really get to spend too much time talking about things like the Sacred and Immaculate Hearts, the various Wounds, sacramentals, and so forth.

Nobody on this board is familiar with this image? That must be a first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back