Happy Paczki Day!

• Thread starter Thread starter Hesychios
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hesychios

To my Latin brothers and sisters about to begin their Lenten pilgrimage: Happy Paczki (or Sledziowka) day!

Michael

I would reply but have jelly dripping down my chin from my “punchkie” I also had pancakes for breakfast, since I am English, but used to work in Hamtramck where this was a biggie. Cannot find either jelly donuts or hot cross buns anywhere in the RGV, should have had them air-shipped.

I used to live in Michigan and sooooo miss Paczkis. My favorites are the custard and my old boss would go to Hamtramck and get them for the whole office (all 350 of us). When we lived in NJ, they were regularly available in all the grocery stores - although not quite as yummy.

In Texas, we found them at one bakery in Houston. The pastor of the Polish parish clued us in. But they sell them only on the Thursday before Lent begins and only in jelly. 😦

So, enjoy one for me.

40.png
kmktexas:
I 😦

So, enjoy one for me.
only in my dreams, down here they have nopalitos (like a cole-slaw made with cactus paddles cut up, boiled, with dressing) and a bread pudding with milk, eggs, cinnamon which really does not taste very good, as Lenten fare.

It’s good to be in Chicago for Paczki Day. They even interview people at the bakeries where people are lined up as early as 6am to make their purchases. Then they broadcast it live or on the later news on TV. Just don’t ask me how many I had myself.

The supermarkets here sell them only before Lent. Then they go on hiatus. I couldn’t fit my church pants this past week. :o But I’ll strive to be greater in prayer and I intend on going to Ash Wendesday Mass tommorow after school.

In this corner of the world they don’t exist… :crying:

Unless the Polish parish made some… dangit… and Fat Tuesday’s almost over…

never did find a jelly donut, but we went out to Fridays for Jack Daniels steak as our last meat meal (meatfare? is that what it’s called?) and choc cake brought to YG was my dessert. gave last of the Christmas candy to a family that came looking for emergency housing, along with everything in office refrigerator. We have all stocked up with salads, tuna, veg soup etc. so we are ready, helps when you work with people who are on the same program.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back