Has ecumenism failed and been distorted?

• Thread starter Thread starter c4csp
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

c4csp

I believe ecumenism has goal to bring others to the true faith, not accept their faith as sufficient outside the Catholic Church. I think there is a fine line when understanding what ecumenism is. I see many Catholics say things like, “We don’t believe that anymore(in regards to no salvation outside the Catholic Church)”. How can we not believe that anymore? How are muslims saved when they reject the trinity? It seems Catholics who speak this way are falling to the heresy of modernism(which has been condemned by many Popes).

I see many Catholics say things like, “We don’t believe that anymore(in regards to no salvation outside the Catholic Church)”
If they’re saying that, then they don’t understand what it really means. In other words, if they thought it meant “you must be an explicit member of the visible Catholic Church in order to be saved”, then they’re mistaken.
How are muslims saved when they reject the trinity?
By the grace of God. And, it’s not a blanket statement, as in “all Muslims are saved”, which is what I’m getting from the way you phrased it.
It seems Catholics who speak this way are falling to the heresy of modernism
Ahh… that red herring again! Whenever something’s wrong in the Church, the “modernism” charge comes out again! Umm… do you know what ‘modernism’ really is?

How are muslims saved when they reject the trinity?
Technically speaking, the term “ecumenism” refers to dialogue between Christian churches/denominations/ecclesial communities.

Dialogue with other faiths is termed interreligious dialogue.

It’s not the same, and the aims are different.

Last edited:
I believe ecumenism has goal to bring others to the true faith, not accept their faith as sufficient outside the Catholic Church. I think there is a fine line when understanding what ecumenism is.
You’re confusing two things–but that’s part of the problem because other people do too leading to that impression. Ecumenism, as the Church defines it, is seeking the corporate reunion of separated baptized Christian communities or churches (as complementary to seeking the reunion of baptized individuals). It has nothing to do with non-Christians. But yeah, too often it is replaced with the “false irenicism” condemned by Vatican II and a kind of superficial charity or even worse a religious indifferentism towards even non-Christian religions.

Plus, ecumenism has been a failure IMO because most separated Christian groups have moved father away from Catholic truth, not closer to it, and have tempted Catholics to do the same.

Personally, I think seeking corporate reunion doesn’t make much sense, except in very specific cases. God does not necessarily send the same graces to everyone all at once. Every individual has a unique journey to the truth that God, in His Providence, has given for his or her greatest good. And not everyone is of good will–there are many who are hardened against the truth. Barring a miracle (and there’s nothing wrong with praying for miracles, but we shouldn’t presume them), a corporate reunion wouldn’t work if we respected the dignity and free will of each of the individual members of the separated group.

All that being said, in principle there is nothing wrong or modernistic about seeking corporate reunion in the one Church and one faith (modernism is the denial an objective revelation from God).

I’ll address your points about salvation in my next post.

Last edited:
How can we not believe that anymore? How are muslims saved when they reject the trinity?
As an initial point, while kind of a topic on its own, Muslims acknowledge the one God–which can be done without faith–but not the Trinity of Persons, which, as a revealed truth, requires faith to believe.

In any event, the Church still teaches it is impossible to be saved without faith in Christ. But one can have faith in Christ while innocently believing an error about particular articles of faith (since all of revelation is found in Christ the Word, faith in Him embodies the reception of the whole truth; on the flipside, for the same reason culpable heresy destroys all faith). From the Catechism:
The Necessity of Faith

161 Believing in Jesus Christ and in the One who sent him for our salvation is necessary for obtaining that salvation.42 "Since “without faith it is impossible to please [God]” and to attain to the fellowship of his sons, therefore without faith no one has ever attained justification, nor will anyone obtain eternal life ‘But he who endures to the end.’"43
Faith in Christ is necessary because faith “is a free assent to the whole truth that God has revealed.” (CCC 150) and Christ “is the Father’s one, perfect and unsurpassable Word. In him he has said everything; there will be no other word than this one” (CCC 65) and “what he spoke before to the prophets in parts, he has now spoken all at once by giving us the All Who is His Son” (CCC 65, quoting St. John of the Cross).

Even if in good conscience, people in non-Christian religions cannot have faith–they simply do not believe what God has revealed. Their belief is merely “religious experience still in search of the absolute truth and still lacking assent to God who reveals himself” and therefore “the distinction between theological faith and belief in the other religions, must be firmly held.” (Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, Dominus Iesus 7).

However, we do acknowledge that, for those in good conscience seeking to follow the truth, “in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him.” (CCC 848).

Likewise, as I mentioned earlier, if one has faith in Christ, but is innocently ignorant or erring on some article of faith, it does not destroy faith. Since faith is one based on the person of Christ, "neither does one who is able at great length to discourse regarding it, make any addition to it, nor does one, who can say but little diminish it.” (St. Ireneaus, Against Heresies I, 10, 2). For this reason, St. Augustine says in letter 43:
But though the doctrine which men hold be false and perverse, if they do not maintain it with passionate obstinacy, especially when they have not devised it by the rashness of their own presumption, but have accepted it from parents who had been misguided and had fallen into error, and if they are with anxiety seeking the truth, and are prepared to be set right when they have found it, such men are not to be counted heretics.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back