Having friends with no faith

• Thread starter Thread starter InSearchOfGod
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

InSearchOfGod

I have some great friends, but whenever it comes to the subject of God, I seem to be the only one that believes! It’s very sad 😦 as I am temporarily outcast from the group as my beliefs are spit upon (not literally, but with words).

However, I CANNOT simply not talk about God! He is so much a part of everything, and it’s really sad to see such good friends miss that, not realize it.

Is there anything one can do in such a situation?

40.png
InSearchOfGod:
I have some great friends, but whenever it comes to the subject of God, I seem to be the only one that believes! It’s very sad 😦 as I am temporarily outcast from the group as my beliefs are spit upon (not literally, but with words).

However, I CANNOT simply not talk about God! He is so much a part of everything, and it’s really sad to see such good friends miss that, not realize it.

If your friends can not be respectful of your beliefs they are immature and I wouldn’t consider them “good” friends.

I have friends with faith and friends without it. And friends who didn’t have faith but now does and she has told me my strong faith was a big influence on her.

I wouldn’t be in your face about it. Like if you don’t believe in God you’re all going to hell. But like for instances when I’ve been understress I would share with my friends I try to get to daily Mass because it helps me alot. Be a good example of a Christian friend as they say actions speak louder then words, you don’t have to be preachy.

If your friends are disrespectful of your beliefs then tell them you feel you are being disrespected. That your faith is a big part of your life as your friends you would expect them to understand that.

40.png
InSearchOfGod:

I can relate.
I have over the years kept many secular friends, protestant friends, and catholic friends. Some of my very best friends are very secularized.
I have learned over the years that you can only be so close to many of them, and you pray and hope for all of them.
Many of our friends we just can’t talk to about Jesus… These ones are the ones it is important to BE Jesus to.

If they are truly your friends, love you, and know that you are a faithful christian, they would never say anything to offend you. If they do, keep them as friends but reassign the significance of their friendship, lower your expectations of them, and protect your heart.

Finally, Live out your faith to them, be loving to them, and faithful to the Church. You never know the very GREAT influence you are having on them by your example. You may never recieve the payoff on this side of Heaven, but keep being faithful.

Good for you. You’re being persecuted for the sake of righteousness. It is very difficult–but sometimes that’s how you know you’re doing the right thing–because it’s difficult. Continue to love them and pray for them and trust that Jesus’ will will be carried out.

I have a friend who is a self-described atheist. She’s a wonderful person, has a great heart, and would jump in a second if you need a hand.

But don’t talk religion to her - she’ll leave the room!!

I’m friends with her because I could recognize the goodness in her heart. She comes from a Catholic/Jewish background, but her parents decided not to instill any type of religious life to her and her brother simply because it would be too confusing for them.

I pray for her a lot, because I sincerely believe that one day she’ll be tired of having to rely only on herself to find strength during difficult times. I’m still friends with her because I see God’s goodness in her, even if she doesn’t see it herself. 👍

40.png
InSearchOfGod:

Get some new friends.

Don’t drop your old ones, per se, they need you more than they realize they do. As Mother Angelica put it so eloquently: “There are some people you can talk about Jesus to, and some you can just “be” Jesus to”.

But do surround yourself with a few people who have similar beliefs, a support group so to speak.

🙂

Don’t worry, my friends are all atheist or agnostic, but I don’t love them any less because of it. We can discuss religion civilly and they know I’m not trying to preach to them, and they respect my views and know that I don’t mind a little “Christian-bashing” or Jesus/Christian jokes every now and then. I don’t know what to suggest, though, because I don’t have many Catholic friends … but I’m okay with that, I suppose.

I’m just sorry that your friends aren’t more respectful of our faith. I don’t have anything to suggest to help you, unfortunately, but I also feel bad for my friends because they can’t give religion a fair shake. I wish they could love God and believe in Him, you know? They’re the types who just think it’s all fake and religious people are all wrong, apparently – but they *respect *my beliefs, still, and act accordingly. They’re very nice, moral people, even though they’re not believers. I’ve known many supposed Christians who are much less moral than them, honestly. =l

While I have friends who are not religious, I choose them as my friends because I know they will love me for being me. Thet don’t judge me for what I believe, nor do I them. While I haven’t been active in any church for many years I am now recently trying to find my way to God. My friends do not belittle my efforts or laugh at me. Now I know they are truly my friends.

40.png
InSearchOfGod:

I don’t know how to advise you as I live in a country which is 85% Catholic and everybody talks about God daily. Nobody is embarrassed to talk about God and nobody is offended when you do. I have to admit its different from when I lived in the UK (I’m British).

I have some Catholic friends at work who will not talk about religion because it is too personal and it does not belong at work.
You know I have noticed that those same people do not live their faith either. I have some non-Catholic friends who love to talk about Jesus and they apply Christian ideals to their lives. In the broad sense, we all are either on our way to Heaven, or on our way to Hell. Thank you, God, for Pergatory. :gopray2:

40.png
thistle:
I don’t know how to advise you as I live in a country which is 85% Catholic and everybody talks about God daily. Nobody is embarrassed to talk about God and nobody is offended when you do. I have to admit its different from when I lived in the UK (I’m British).
Is this country Ireland? ☘️ I’d love to live in Ireland, or even just visit it some time. 😃 Erin go bragh!

Thanks for all your responses! I have great friends with faith too, in fact I often learn from them and am humbled by their faith. I am blessed to have them as friends. But the others who I do spend a lot of time with, I just can’t mention God without them talking about the “brainwashing church” and such. I can’t dump them as friends because I do care about them. I pray God will help me “be Jesus to them”! 🙂

40.png
thistle:
What country do you live in…if you don’t mind sharing that with us. I notice it is not on your public profile, but your post makes me curious. If you’d rather not, that’s OK . 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back