I
Ignatius
Guest
We have several masses on Christmas Eve. I am having trouble determining which readings should be read at a 7:00 P.M. Mass on Christmas Eve. Can anyone give me some guidance? Thanks.
It seems to depends on where you live. In Canada the Lectionary advises us to use the Christmas Feast readings, any of the three different Masses, for any Mass on Christmas Eve. We usually use the Midnight Mass ones.We have several masses on Christmas Eve. I am having trouble determining which readings should be read at a 7:00 P.M. Mass on Christmas Eve. Can anyone give me some guidance? Thanks.
Well, the Lectionary doesn’t have any options. There’s only one set of readings for the Christmas Eve Mass. They’re the same for years ABC.We have several masses on Christmas Eve. I am having trouble determining which readings should be read at a 7:00 P.M. Mass on Christmas Eve. Can anyone give me some guidance? Thanks.
Thank you father, I thought I remembered last year having different readings for each vigil mass, but it seems most likely that all of the vigil masses will use the same readings, since we haven’t been given instructions to do otherwise.Well, the Lectionary doesn’t have any options. There’s only one set of readings for the Christmas Eve Mass. They’re the same for years ABC.
Is 62, 1-5
Ps 89
Acts 13 16-17, 22-25
Mt 1, 1-25 (or short form)
I’ve been wonderring why you would be asking such a question, then it occured to me. Are you confused because there’s one set of readings for December 24 and a different set for “Christmas Vigil Mass”? If that’s the case, the Dec. 24 readings are for Mass in the morning or daytime. Since the Mass is 7:00 PM, the readings would be the Vigil Mass.
It’s also permitted (if pastoral needs suggest) to use the readings from the other 3 Christmas Masses (Midnight, dawn, and daytime) at the Vigil Mass.
It could work out that way, because the other 3 Christmas Mass readings might be used at the Vigil Mass. When I said “no options” in my earlier post, what I meant was that unlike some other feast-days, we don’t see 4 or 5 Old Testament readings, and it’s a choice between them; and that there’s no ABC cycle for that Mass. Also keep in mind that Midnight Mass has its own proper readings–so that might be what you’re remembering.Thank you father, I thought I remembered last year having different readings for each vigil mass, but it seems most likely that all of the vigil masses will use the same readings, since we haven’t been given instructions to do otherwise.
May God grand you many happy, holy and blessed years.
Good point, however unless he chooses the option to use different readings, the ones for the Mass are to be used. This isn’t a matter of “chooose either A or B” it’s a matter of “A is done unless the priest chooses B”.Why not ask the Pastor what readings he prefers?
Isn’t the Liturgy supposed to be according to HIS direction?