"He really, really likes you!"

• Thread starter Thread starter Paris_Blues
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Paris_Blues

After telling Father my sins in Confession this past Saturday, he gave me some spiritual advice and told me that “God really, really likes you” and I was a little struck at this statement. :confused:

Did he really mean to say, “God really, really loves you?” not “like”?

It is possible to love someone without likeing them, so the priest might not have made a mistake. Most of us at least have a head knowledge that God loves us, but realizing that he probably likes us also can be hard to grasp.

Whatever he meant…the good news you were at confession and received absolution. The best words I have ever heard…I absolve you of your sins, in the Name of the Father, and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit! Praise God!

I wouldn’t take it offensively. I would be flattered if someone told me that God really likes me. Sometimes I feel like He sits up in Heaven and looks down on me shaking His head and sighs. 🙂

40.png
mrs_abbott:
I wouldn’t take it offensively. I would be flattered if someone told me that God really likes me. Sometimes I feel like He sits up in Heaven and looks down on me shaking His head and sighs. 🙂
Or, in my case, “I have given you everything you need… so what are you WAITING for, already?” 😃

Maybe your priest was trying to get your attention. If he told you God loved you, would it have gone in one ear and out the other? I think we are so used to hearing that, that sometimes we stop really even considering. It seems like you are now giving some consideration to what it means to have God really, really like you. I think it is a good thing.

Paris Blues:
Why not? Love is not a strong enough word for what I feel toward God but I like him too.

If you are one of those people who are simply too hard on themselves, the priest might have wanted you to realize that you are indeed a good person and likable to God.(From all the posts that I have read of yours, you do seem to be both a trifle hard on yourself and very sweet individual)

Love and like are two different feelings. YOu can love someone that you dislike, you can like someone that you don’t love and if you are lucky you can do both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back