Head Coverings/Veils

• Thread starter Thread starter Laurie_S
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Laurie_S

Hi there. This is my first post, so please be patient with me. My intent is not to cause an arguement over this subject, only to ask an opinion of those of like mind.

I’m wondering at what age I should start my daughter wearing a veil or head covering. She is 6, and will be receiving her first communion next spring.

I have been periodically wearing a chapel cap to daily Mass and am the only one in my parish (that I am aware of) to do so. I have not yet worn it to Sunday Mass because of my fear of calling undue attention to myself. Also, I sing in the choir, so I would be even more visible. However, a friend of mine in the parish told me that after her recent visit to the shrine in Hanceville, AL she has ordered some veils and plans to wear them herself, although, like me feels nervous about calling attention to herself.

Thanks!

Hi Laurie,

Welcome to the board!

I don’t know about when a child would begin, but we did have a thread about adult women and headcovering that may give you some ideas. Here is the thread:
forums.catholic-questions.org/showthread.php?t=33922&highlight=head+covering

I have been wearing hats since I returned to the CC last month. I am one of the only ones. I ordered a veil for myself - no one wears those at my parish, so I’m a little shy about it. But I was raised up in the church of a long time ago, when we did need to cover, and it just doesn’t feel right without a hat or veil! I will definitely wear the veil for confession. Anyway, my veil hasn’t arrived, so I haven’t had the chance to wear it for anything yet.

If you don’t mind, let me know when you first wear yours, and how it went. I’ll let you know the same about my experience.

Aunt Martha

I logged on to the forum to see what other women thought about covering their heads. I read all the replies in the thread that Aunt Martha linked us to. It is interesting. I feel like I would like to cover my head for Jesus but, you know, most of my family and friends already think that I have gone way over board on this Church thing. They’re right of course, I hope I drown in it! Still I am self conscious.

Laurie S.:
I’m wondering at what age I should start my daughter wearing a veil or head covering. She is 6, and will be receiving her first communion next spring.
If you do the cultural research, you’ll find that when a “girl” was allowed to “wear a veil” for the first time, was the time that her parents decided that she was eligble for marriage.

Covering a woman’s head was more of a cultural thing. It was a way to find out a woman’s station in the village community… young girl, woman eligible for marriage, married, married with children, grandmother, widow.

The use of “chapel veils” came about in this country in the mid to late 1960’s and they’re a tacky knock-off of the gorgeous Spanish mantillas minus the tortise shell combs that also designated a woman’s position in the village community and in her own family.

Hope this helps…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back