Health Education in Public Schools

• Thread starter Thread starter teresawill
  • Start date Start date
T

teresawill

My son is currently taking a health education class offered at his public school. The class is a graduation requirement, and must be taken by all those in the 12th grade.However, after previewing the syllabus, I have found that the class has a clear bias. The material frequently endorses planned parenthood, abortion, contraception, and homosexuality. My son has been asked to turn in assignments endorsing and encouraging others to partake in such activities. Some material even directly says that religious organizations are not reliable, such as those that encourage women against abortion or the use of contraception. While I know he feels wrong doing so, as it goes against our faith, he needs to turn in the assignments to receive grades. Being that the class has a clear bias, how can the school require my son to take it?

Be grateful that you were able to preview; with online textbooks, many parents will find themselves out of the loop of what is presented to their children in class.
You could reach out to other parents to protest, go to the school board, reach out to your elected officials, investigate opt out options, keep in touch with the teacher about your objections and review assignments with child and teacher, review each day’s lesson with your child, explaining your objections to help him or her learn how to combat limited or mis-information, offer theology of the body at home and contrast the two programs, and/or reach out to see if Christian groups are organizing a legal challenge and offer to be a plaintiff.

Be grateful that you were able to preview; with online textbooks, many parents will find themselves out of the loop of what is presented to their children in class.
Now that you mention it, there is no reason to assume that the full scope of the class had indeed been presented in that syllabus.

My son has been asked to turn in assignments endorsing and encouraging others to partake in such activities. Some material even directly says that religious organizations are not reliable, such as those that encourage women against abortion or the use of contraception. While I know he feels wrong doing so, as it goes against our faith, he needs to turn in the assignments to receive grades. Being that the class has a clear bias, how can the school require my son to take it?
Can you show a copy of the syllabus? I’ve been in and around public education for 40 years and have never heard of/or seen this in a health education class.

Specifically the bolded.

Last edited:
Back