Help/Advice out of Dating App Addiction

  • Thread starter Thread starter ElizabethECB
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ElizabethECB

Guest
I went on a dating app that allowed picture exchange and video chat but, was constantly pressured into sending inappropriate pictures/ videos by potential partners. I noticed if I would do this my cyber coins would increase and my popularity as well. I became dangerously addicted to this app and the exchange of inappropriate videos and pics. I am trying to get away from this temptation and keep going back to it. I feel ashamed to keep going to confession with the same sins. I am only getting more addicted and tempted to delve deeper into sinful behavior 😭. I am female and am in counseling for relationship addiction. This temptation only arose once I cut myself off all “real-life” relationships. Childhood neglect has left me desperate for attention in any form and the app allowed me to feel accepted even if only for my appearance and sexuality. I removed the app from my phone and today finally deleted it fully. Any advice or help to release myself from this awful temptation. I want to join the “Angelic Warfare Confraternity” and pray the prayers for chastity a few times a week. I haven’t joined because of this problem. What can I do? Please, any advice, guidance help???
 
Delete the app.

Go to a “dumb phone” where you can call and text only.

Use the computer only in a public place, the living room, a cafe, the library, sitting out in a park, etc.

Keep going with your therapy. I will pray for you!
 
It’s a common problem— “Dear God, make me chaste, but not yet.” 🙂 (St. Augustine.)

Take things a day at a time. “Today, I am not going to do x.” Don’t worry about tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after… just say, “Today, I am not going to do x.” The important thing is to break the habit.

Another important thing is to find the validation that you got from it from a healthier source. You had mentioned cutting off all your real-life relationships— was that a healthy thing (ie, distancing yourself from toxic/unhealthy people) or was it an unhealthy thing (ie, you cut off your real-life relationships and in the process cut out all of your support).

You might find a cause you believe in— whether it’s animals, or the homeless, or battered women, or inner-city children, or the hungry, or the church, or whatever-- and make an effort to get actively involved. The common cause will give you an excuse to be around people you might not have encountered otherwise, and your helpfulness will put you on people’s radars in a healthy, non-sexual kind of way. People will depend on you, and your absence will leave a noticeable vacuum. You might start off as doing it for the attention, or for the gratitude— but eventually work your way into doing it out of love of neighbor. 💙

I wish you the best on your path.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top