Help me with Meditation thoughts on the Transfiguration of Jesus

• Thread starter Thread starter FrankR
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

FrankR

I have read about the Transfiguration of Jesus and this is one of the hardest mysteries for me to meditate on when I pray the Rosary. Since tonight I will pray the Luminous Mysteries, I would appreciate your thoughts on this mystery.

What meditative thoughts do you have about this?

40.png
FrankR:
I have read about the Transfiguration of Jesus and this is one of the hardest mysteries for me to meditate on when I pray the Rosary. Since tonight I will pray the Luminous Mysteries, I would appreciate your thoughts on this mystery.

What meditative thoughts do you have about this?
They are not my thoughts but I read a book by Father Benedict Groeschel called The Rosary: Chain of Hope which includes the Luminous Mysteries.
Part of his thoughts on today’s Mystery:

“The Transfiguration shows us the mystery of faith and hope. We all hope to see the transfigured Christ at the end of our lives. We hope to go into eternal life with Him. Let us join Our Blessed Lady, who gave birth to the body that would be transfigured, to the face that would shine like the sun. Let us join her in adoration of the myterious Messiah, who alone is our hope.”

I generally find it helpfull to imagine myself as a bystandard in my meditation. I’m a very visual person, and this helps me to concentrate.

The more I know of the situation, setting, people present, etc. The more deeply I am able to meditate.

I usually begin with the entry in the Catholic Encyclopedia…

Found here.

Then you could read on what ECF’s had to say of the Transfiguration…

I have found it interesting that Peter, James and John were with Jesus at the transfiguration and these same three were also with Him during His agony in the garden.

Perhaps they would not have been able to witness His agony and pain had they not also witnessed His glory during the transfiguration. Their faith may not have been strong enough to see His suffering if they didn’t believe He truly was the Son of God.

Also, I’ve thought that Jesus may have needed the comfort and support of Moses and Elijah before His passion began.

So sometimes when I meditate on this mystery, I ask Our Lord for faith to believe when I don’t understand and ask Mary to pray for my faith to increase.

Just think of Peter’s words on witnessing the transfigured Christ "Lord how good it is for us to be here!! Of course for Peter, James and John that wonderful experience had to end and they had to return to the world.

Now think how many times we have repeated this phrase in our hearts as we attend Holy Mass and see the resurrected Christ held up before us.

Tie this mystery of the Rosary to the Holy Mass as indeed when you are there, you are Peter, James and John.

Remember also the wonderful moments or consolation, given to us by our Lord. They cannot last and we are always charged with ‘going back down the mountain’ to the everyday life.

We should never decend unchanged, but decend with new hope and zeal for evangelising.

40.png
Didi:
I have found it interesting that Peter, James and John were with Jesus at the transfiguration and these same three were also with Him during His agony in the garden.

Perhaps they would not have been able to witness His agony and pain had they not also witnessed His glory during the transfiguration. Their faith may not have been strong enough to see His suffering if they didn’t believe He truly was the Son of God.

**Also, I’ve thought that Jesus may have needed the comfort and support of Moses and Elijah before His passion began. **

So sometimes when I meditate on this mystery, I ask Our Lord for faith to believe when I don’t understand and ask Mary to pray for my faith to increase.
Someone suggested that Moses (Laws) and Elijah (greatest of the prophets) were there for Peter, James and John to witness that Jesus had fulfilled both the Law and the Prophesies.

These are all very good thoughts, I thank you for them. It seems that the final thought that you have added (Thistle) is an interesting aspect that I had not thought of. In other words this would have been the clincher for the three apostles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back