Help needed!

• Thread starter Thread starter Katie1723
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Katie1723

I have recently returned to the faith I was born into and grew up with , so I am a bit unclear on a few Lenten requirements. As I recall, Friday was a no meat day.However someone said it is also a fasting day. Does this mean no food? I don’t want to mess things up so any help is much appreciated. Also, I have seen more than a few people wearing rosaries around their neck. I carry mine in my pocket everywhere. What gives?
Many thanks in advance!

There are only two days a year on which we fast: Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. Fasting, according to the Catholic Church, means you may eat one full meal and two smaller meals as long as the smaller meals do not equal the size of the full meal. You may not eat meat, and you may not eat anything between meals. Water is okay anytime.

In addition to these two fasting days, Catholics must abstain from meat on every Friday of Lent. Someone correct me if I’ve left anything out.

This is how I was taught. Hope it helps.

Wearing the rosary around the neck can mean that the person is from Hispanic heritage, as it seems to be the accepted thing where I live now, south Texas, and in Mexico, as soon as you give someone a rosary they will put it around their neck. Our priest said tonight we should do it to show our pride in being Catholic. However it has also become a pop culture thing to wear it as jewelry, expensive ones with precious stones, used by the worst examples of pop culture stars, Mad-onna and others. for that, we can only pray that proximity to the rosary will open them up to the influence of the Holy Virgin Mary.

So it’s not actually wrong to wear a rosary? Because for a couple weeks I was really scared so I wore one around my neck, inside my shirt. I wasn’t wearing it as jewlery or anything but our techer said it is a sin.

No, it isn’t wrong, but I have never seen it outside of the latino/hispaic culture. We see it here in texas/mexico fairly often, where that culture (and food!) is predominant.

Personally, I am not hispanic, and wasn’t raised in that culture, so I do not. It isn’t a sin unless you are wearing it with excessive pride or something/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back