Help Please!

• Thread starter Thread starter ddahlia14
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

ddahlia14

I am looking for a quote from Mother Theresa regarding the misery she saw in the wealthier people of New York versus the happiness in the dying poor of Calcutta. If anyone has any insight or a book reference, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
Callie

This isn’t it exactly…
“There is much suffering in the world - physical, material, mental. The suffering of some can be blamed on the greed of others. The material and physical suffering is suffering from hunger, from homelessness, from all kinds of diseases. But the greatest suffering is being lonely, feeling unloved, having no one. I have come more and more to realize that it is being unwanted that is the worst disease that any human being can ever experience.”

~ Mother Theresa
from this link thinkarete.com/quotes/by_teacher/mother_theresa

I also don’t think thisis exactly what you’re looking for, but it’s definitely of the same spirit:
Time: Is materialism in the West an equally serious problem?

Mother Teresa: I don’t know. I have so many things to think about. I pray lots about that, but I am not occupied by that. Take our congregation for example, we have very little, so we have nothing to be preoccupied with. The more you have, the more you are occupied, the less you give. But the less you have the more free you are. Poverty for us is a freedom. It is not a mortification, a penance. It is joyful freedom. There is no television here, no this, no that. This is the only fan in the whole house. It doesn’t matter how hot it is, and it is for the guests. But we are perfectly happy.

Time: How do you find rich people then?

Mother Teresa: I find the rich much poorer. Sometimes they are more lonely inside. They are never satisfied. They always need something more. I don’t say all of them are like that. Everybody is not the same. I find that poverty hard to remove. The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back