Help with other prayers

• Thread starter Thread starter frank212
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

frank212

I was wondering if there ( i know there are millions) , besides , the rosary , chaplet of mercy and stations of the cross that can send me into a deep state with god , Any other ideas , I will be pleased with the ones I have , but do any others work for you real well , that might help me??

40.png
frank212:
I was wondering if there ( i know there are millions) , besides , the rosary , chaplet of mercy and stations of the cross that can send me into a deep state with god , Any other ideas , I will be pleased with the ones I have , but do any others work for you real well , that might help me??
The “Our Father” (Lord’s Prayer) and the Rosary are “prayers that come straight from the Fountain of Grace. Other prayers that people look for in books are only tiny streams that have their source in this Fountain.”

“Saint Augustine assures us that the Our Father devoutly said takes away venial sins.”

See the “twelfth rose” in St. Louis Grignion de Montfort’s “The Secret of the Rosary” (Catholic Book Publishing Company, 2004). The newly printed version includes an appendix of the new luminous mysteries. It was less than $5 where I bought it (Franciscan Monastery in NE Washington DC).

I also like the Rosary of the Seven Sorrows (which is prayed with a rosary that has seven groups of seven hail marys). But I like the Holy Rosary (with Joyful, Luminous, Sorrowful, Glorious Mysteries) the best.

I heard somewhere recently (or read it) that our prayers get better if our lives get better. The same prayers, with a better life are better prayers.

frank212: You asked a wonderful question. And sometimes I take what I read too seriously. After all, I am only in RCIA.

Even St. Louis Grignion de Montfort loved other prayers. For example, he wrote a prayer “Act of Consecration to the Immaculate Heart of Mary”.

There are a number of prayers that I love. I recently prayed the “Prayer to Our Lady of Lourdes” for nine days before I went into the hospital for a minor procedure. In addition to having everything go very well, I also was helped by a few Franciscan monks in choosing a few books to learn more about Mary’s virtues.

Prayer to Our Lady of Lourdes
O ever Immaculate Virgin, Mother of Mercy, health of the sick, refuge of sinners, comforter of the afflicted, you know my needs, my troubles, my sufferings. Look upon me with mercy. When you appeared in the grotto of Lourdes, you made it a privileged sanctuary where you dispense your favors, and where many sufferers have obtained the cure of their infirmities, both spiritual and corporal. I come, therefore, with unbounded confidence to implore your maternal intercession. My loving Mother, obtain my request. I will try to imitate your virtues so that I may one day share your company and bless you in eternity. Amen.

I am always comforted to hear a Priest lead us in the “Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel” at the conclusion of a Mass.

Prayer to St. Michael the Archangel
Holy Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle. Be our safeguard against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray; and do you, O Prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God cast into hell Satan and all the evil spirits who wander through the world seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.

And years ago, I really thought the “Sinners Prayer” would change lives if it was prayed sincerely.

Sinners Prayer
Jesus, I believe you are here.
I am sorry for the things I have done wrong.
You promised you would save me from hell
if I asked you into my heart.
So I ask you, Jesus, please come into my heart right now.
Make me the person you want me to be.
Thank you, Jesus, for coming into my heart.
Amen

Essentially, I think the Catholic “Prayer of Spiritual Communion” is similar.

Act of Spiritual Communion
My Jesus, I believe that You are in the Blessed Sacrament. I love You above all things, and I long for You in my soul. Since I cannot now receive You sacramentally, come at least spiritually into my heart. As though You have already come, I embrace You and unite myself entirely to You; never permit me to be separated from You.

There are so many prayers that I do not yet have memorized. I am trying to learn the Apostles Creed. And then I also need to learn the Nicene Creed. And the “Hail, Holy Queen” and the “Memorare”.

I hope that this thread continues. There are so many good Catholic prayers. Even though the “Our Father”, the Holy Rosary, the “Hail Mary” are so very hard to beat because they are such excellent prayers.

Anima Christi (Especially after receiving the Eucharist)

Soul of Christ, sanctify me
Body of Christ, save me
Blood of Christ, inebriate me
Water from the side of Christ, wash me
Passion of Christ, strengthen me
O Good Jesus, hear me
Within your wounds, hide me
Never let me parted from you
From the malicious enemy defend me
In the hour of my death, call me
And bid me come to you
That with all your saints I may praise you
Forever and ever, Amen.
The Memorare**

Remember, O most gracious Virgin Mary, that never was it known that any one who fled to thy protection, implored thy help or sought thy intercession, was left unaided. Inspired by this confidence, I fly unto thee, O Virgin of virgins my Mother; to thee do I come, before thee I stand, sinful and sorrowful; O Mother of the Word Incarnate, despise not my petitions, but in thy mercy hear and answer me, Amen.

Pax vobiscum

All beautiful prayers, but the official prayer of the church comes right after Mass in importance. This is called the Liturgy of the Hours. All clergy must pray morning and evening prayer from this Liturgy. Even the pope is required to. Many lay persons pray this beautiful Liturgy and in doing so unite themselves to the millions that say it every day. There have been many posts on this site about this prayer also called, “Christian Prayer.”

God bless,
Deacon Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back