J
jlr247
Guest
Hi, I’m writing a response to my atheist friend that emailed me with a barrage of stuff. I’m only 18 and I’m in RCIA so I think I could use some help. I only know so much :whacky:
Anyhoo, heres the gist of what he asked:
-How could an all powerful and all knowing God not know that Lucifer was going to uprise
-why would he want to torment humanity by letting lucifer be
-why doesnt he destroy him
-maybe God and the archangels and lucifer are all as old as each other
-maybe they are just opposing sides, ie. he didnt create lucifer
And then heres what I have written so far:
Anyhoo, heres the gist of what he asked:
-How could an all powerful and all knowing God not know that Lucifer was going to uprise
-why would he want to torment humanity by letting lucifer be
-why doesnt he destroy him
-maybe God and the archangels and lucifer are all as old as each other
-maybe they are just opposing sides, ie. he didnt create lucifer
And then heres what I have written so far:
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I’ve been busy this past week (5 midterms, ugh), and i haven’t been checking my emails. Anyways to reply to your email…:
Why shouldn’t God have created Lucifer? When there is evil and sin in the world, only then can people see what goodness really is. What I mean is, how can something be “good” if there is no converse of “evil” to that “goodness”? There can’t be; that would make the idea of “good” a useless idea since it would not be able to differentiate anything from anything else. why on earth would we have the word and idea of the colour “blue” if everything in the world was the colour blue? The answer: we wouldn’t, because that would be pointless. From here, you can ask “why would God want to create a world of creatures who do not realize his goodness only because they do not know what goodness is?”
If I could get some help answering the rest of his email, or if something I’ve written seems a bit off and youd like to tell me, I’d really appreciate it! Thanks!If he did that, humans would not appreciate or respect him, they would not realize the greatness of his love, nor would they love him back. They would not have to consciously choose God, because he would be the only option.They would take God for granted. To prevent this from happening, he gave his creatures free will. Yes, he knew that some of his creatures would turn away from him (like Lucifer), and curse him, and act as though he didn’t exist. He knows that some will choose this, and of course it pains him because he loves everyone and wishes for them all to choose him. But even though he realizes the downside, he chose to give free will to the people anyways. This is because now he will have children who love him, honour him, realize that he is good, and the creator of all that is good on Earth. These children who love, respect and honour him would be a far greater thing to God than the people he could’ve created who do not know he meaning of goodness. The difference would be something like the difference between having a son/daughter, and building a robot who has been programmed to love you. Yes, the robot will obey you, but will it truly love you? The robot has no choice in the matter, and therefore this artificial love is quite meaningless. On the other hand, the child can rebel, maybe even desert you in old age, but is the risk not worth it when the child could also choose to love honour and respect you? Most people would choose the risk of a child over a robot who has been programmed to “love”. God is the same. He wanted to create something wonderful, not a lot of meaningless automated nothingness.