Helping others?

• Thread starter Thread starter Shinobu
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shinobu

I feel ashamed that I have not done that much in life to really help others. When I was younger I wanted to help others, however my parents were very protective of me and they really didn’t want me to be going out and doing things, and so I grew up feeling emberassed to go out and do service to others. I pray and ask for courage and guidance, is there anything else I can do to get over the feelings of emberassment and shyness? What should I do as far as helping others? Can I go to my Church and ask there? Where do I start and how can I assure my Grandmother (who is a very fearful person as far as society and our safety goes) that I will be safe and it is okay?

I regret that I am not a very strong person and I do not have much money and I also can not drive. I am willing to help though, I just don’t know where to start.

Thank you very much for your help

Our parish runs a local soup kitchen where I volunteer about once amonth. Many parishes will work with other churches to collect food for the needy. These types of things typically wont put you into direct contact with the people being helped. Also, there are many ministries you can be a part of that allow you to help others. For example, you can become a minister of care, who takes communion to sick people in the hospital. These are just a couple of ways to help others that don’t require money, or put you in a dangerous environment.Just remember, we all have different talents. Some of us are more suitable to be missionaries, and some of us are more suited to organize the mission trips, or raise money for them. Pray and ask God to help you discern your calling. Talk to your pastor and ask what areas they need help in. Good Luck!

40.png
Shinobu:
I regret that I am not a very strong person and I do not have much money and I also can not drive. I am willing to help though, I just don’t know where to start.
St Therese of Lisieux was a young, weak, sickly person who could not do great things but did them with great love - her "little way", for which she earned the title of Dr. of the Church. She was only 24 when she died and she had such great impact in the spiritual world.

Maybe you are too hard on yourself. Have you ever prayed for others? What a caring and spiritual thing to do for someone. For intentions, for conversions.

There are several things you can do for others and prayer ranks high on the list. Small gestures of kindness - pumping gas for an elderly person or helping them put groceries into their car. Helping someone reach the top shelf in the grocery store.

Keep your eyes open for those little things the Holy Spirit wispers in your heart - then do them even when you do not want to.

I find the HS is constantly suggesting things to me to do for someone that I pass - strangers often. They come as fleeting ideas, but I realize that they have been put in my mind for a reason. To see if I grab hold and sow seed.

Nothing big, just many little things done with love.

40.png
jrabs:
Maybe you are too hard on yourself. Have you ever prayed for others? What a caring and spiritual thing to do for someone. For intentions, for conversions.
Yes, usually before I go to bed at night I will take time out and pray. I pray for people I know and people I don’t. I also do this while at Church and at any other time of the day that it drifts into my mind. I do enjoy doing the little things though, the things people don’t really notice. I try to ‘keep an eye on others’ so to speak to see if they are in need of something.

Thanks so far for the replies! They are much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back