Heresies - comprehensive list

  • Thread starter Thread starter nas_matko
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nas_matko

Guest
I was reading older issues(1994) of This Rockand I found interesting serie of articles called Heresy of the month dealing with some heresies, briefly but logically summarising historical background, principal errors and modern parallels.

Unfortunetaly this serie has finished the same year it started.

Is there any surce I can find description of all (or at least most of) heresies summarised in the same way as in those articles?

Thank you.
 
“Dissent from the Creed” might be just what you’re looking for:

amazon.com/Dissent-Creed-Heresies-Past-Present/dp/0879734086

I wouldn’t take the relatively low Amazon rating seriously. From looking at those who gave it one star, they are either Feeney supporters or just plain strange. Either way, they have nothing negative to say about the book’s coverage of the major heresies.
 
I was reading older issues(1994) of This Rockand I found interesting serie of articles called Heresy of the month dealing with some heresies, briefly but logically summarising historical background, principal errors and modern parallels.

Unfortunetaly this serie has finished the same year it started.

Is there any surce I can find description of all (or at least most of) heresies summarised in the same way as in those articles?

Thank you.
The “penny catechism” designed for schoolchildren, consisted mainly of a list of obscure late Roman heresies the child was warned to avoid. You can probably get copies on the web.
 
Maybe we should come up with our own CAF list of common heresies the Church is fighting today.
  1. I vehemently oppose abortion but if I am elected I represent all the people in my district so I have to protect their right to abortion.
  2. I am a Catholic mother of 5 but if elected to Congress I will do all in my power to destroy the traditional family as the basis for society.
  3. Jesus did not come to preach salvation and conversion to the Jews so we should not evangelize or even accept Jewish converts to the Catholic Church.
  4. Everything that has happened in the Church since the Council of Trent is heresy.
  5. My personal experience and opinion is the only sound basis for evaluating my actions.
 
Verita, VociMike will you please have a look for me in your book if there is a mention of heresy called traducianism.
This will be a marker which one is better 😉
 
Verita, VociMike will you please have a look for me in your book if there is a mention of heresy called traducianism.
This will be a marker which one is better 😉
Gladly, but you’ll have to wait until I get home from work. 🙂
 
Verita, VociMike will you please have a look for me in your book if there is a mention of heresy called traducianism.
This will be a marker which one is better 😉
Not in “Dissent from the Creed” (at least, not in the index).
 
Verita, VociMike will you please have a look for me in your book if there is a mention of heresy called traducianism.
This will be a marker which one is better 😉
Traducianism is talked about here.

I tend to agree with Ferdinand – the catholic.com site has most of the stuff already.

God Bless,
RyanL
 
Hi Ferdinand,

thank you for your reply, before asking my question I was searching your site extensivley and I have found all the articles you have mentioned. However they are dealing only with relatively small number of heresies and I was looking for something more comprehensive.

BTW, do you know why was the Heresy of the Month discontinued?
 
Has anyone read ‘Great Heresies’ by Hilaire Belloc? I’ve been wondering if it is good. It has a good rating on Amazon.
Personally, I thought it was absolutely fantastic. Belloc has been criticized for not getting all the details straight, but I think he does something much more important. Instead of repeating the “Hows” Belloc focuses on the “Whys” of history. As he says, the purpose of history is to learn why things were done in the past so that we can understand why things happen in the present and what may come in the future. Too many people use history to judge but Belloc uses history to understand. I whole heartedly admire him.
 
Verita, VociMike will you please have a look for me in your book if there is a mention of heresy called traducianism.
This will be a marker which one is better 😉
Nope, sorry. Still, I think it’s a pretty good book. 🙂
 
From This Is The Faith, by Canon Francis Ripley, the principal heresies are as follows:

Arianism
Manicheism
Macedonianism
Pelagianism
Nestorianism
Monophysitism
Semipelagianism
Monothelitism
Iconoclasm
The Greek Heresy and Schism
Berengarius
Albigensianism
Waldensianism
Wycliffe
Lutheranism
Calvinism
Jansenism
Modernism
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top