High tech churches

• Thread starter Thread starter stevem1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stevem1

Has anyone noticed how “high tech” some of our Protestant breathren have become with their worship? Some denominations have developed different gimmicks to entice people into their worship services. Some of it appears to be purely for entertainment value. I have even heard that in the back of one of these high tech churches, people may actually get up from their pews (during the service) go to the back of the church, relax, enjoy a cup of java or simply shoot the bull with a neighbor. One can only wonder what would happen if during one of these “mega services” there were a power outage rendering the audio and video machines useless. What then? For the most part, We Catholics do not have this problem. The Mass will continue just as it has for the past 2,000 years.

****I’ve notice lately how some of these smaller Prostestant churches are attracting newcomers. They would actually send you an introduction flyer in the mail or put a sign out in front of their church saying “Come and Worship with us! We have free popcorn!” Even though I haven’t been to one of them, my first impression of their worship services are becoming more ‘user friendly’ and becoming more like social clubs.

I went to a memorial service for a co-worker at one of these churches. It was a CMA church. They gave a power point presentation about his life. The church did not have pews but plush office or theatre type seating, specially designed for fat people I think. They had a fancy sound system, really top of the line. They had a cross that looked like it had been decorated by Martha Stewart.

The Pastor basically gave a sales pitch type talk, stating in his speech that “If you want to be in Heaven with George, all you have to do is accept Jesus as YOUR personal saviour today”. I found the whole thing not to my taste at all. I felt like I was at a timeshare presentation, not a funeral.

The trend to latch on to the Next Big Thing is not a new trend among evangelical churches. It seems to me that it is hard for them to avoid doing so since they are in part founded on the notion that ancient tradtions need to be jettisoned on the belief that they are ‘traditions of men’ (as if the Next Big Thing isn’t…).

This, of course, doesn’t just apply to technology, but to ideas as well.

Most, if not all, of what is not questionable in books by various popular Evangelical writers is not new to them, although it is often couched as being a new discovery of one sort or another. Most of their acceptable ideas were mined from scripture and tradition by the fathers over 1,500 years ago.

This sort of thing is creeping into our churches, too. More and more Catholic churches are turning to electronic organs instead of shelling out the money for a really good pipe organ. This is still technically against Church regulations, which explicitly forbid electronic organs and recorded music. People try to get around the regs and say “but it sounds just like a pipe organ.” I will concede that digital organ technology has improved a great deal in the last 30 years, however. Great. So it’s… recorded music? Yup. That’s essentially what it is. “But pipe organs are expensive!” people whine. Yeah, but they last for a few hundred years, too…

I will admit that there are times when I wish I did have a fancy projector at my disposal. At least then I could beam the melody and words to Gregorian ordinaries/propers and traditional Catholic hymns onto a screen so people could sing them. Until my priest decides to give OCP the brush, people can’t even sing Catholic music…

I think it is because we Catholics don’t have any need for fancy presentation. We have Jesus actually present.

40.png
Apologia100:
I think it is because we Catholics don’t have any need for fancy presentation. We have Jesus actually present.
A most perfect assessment! 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃 😃

Once again please do not make vast assumptions based on the actions of the few. Most Lutheran’s that I know are against the causal contemporary Church movement. Actually Lutheran’s are usually ridiculed for their strict adherence to old Liturgical practices. The Church that I attend is very high Liturgical as it is my proferance.

The Confession of Faith:
Which Was Submitted to His Imperial Majesty Charles V
At the Diet of Augsburg in the Year 1530
by Philip Melancthon (1497-1560)

Article XXIV
Of the Mass

Falsely are our churches accused of abolishing the Mass; for the Mass is retained among us, and celebrated with the highest reverence. Nearly all the usual ceremonies are also preserved, save that the parts sung in Latin are interspersed here and there with German hymns, which have been added to teach the people. For ceremonies are needed to this end alone that the unlearned be taught [what they need to know of Christ]. And not only has Paul commanded to use in the church a language understood by the people 1 Cor. 14,2. 9, but it has also been so ordained by man’s law. The people are accustomed to partake of the Sacrament together, if any be fit for it, and this also increases the reverence and devotion of public worship. For none are admitted except they be first examined. The people are also advised concerning the dignity and use of the Sacrament, how great consolation it brings anxious consciences, that they may learn to believe God, and to expect and ask of Him all that is good.

**Neary twenty years ago, when my husband decided (after an eighteen year absence) to return to the Church, we decided to visit a local Catholic church that was touted as being the church of the future…all churches were going to be like this one. **

**Well…It was, and still is, a large barnlike structure, with a huge screen over the altar. It is the only Catholic church that I know of with a screen (built in and very large) for showing slides and other presentations. **

Second example…The evangelical church my husband attends has TWO large screens, one on either side of the “stage”…They are used to project all kinds of things…Mostly words to the songs…No hymnals are used there. These screens are also used to promote upcoming events, to show slides of various mission trips, etc…

**And…When you take your child to one of the several nurseries up to preschool age, you have to sign them in, and they have a tag put on their backs…You get the stub. Each has a the same number. So…If you child has a problem, your “number” lights up on an Exit type of sign below each screen. Very good system. **

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back