Hints for Lectio Divina?

• Thread starter Thread starter keith2002
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

keith2002

I do my best to practive Lectio Divina as I find it for me the most fruitful form of prayer, but does anyone who practices this have any hints on doing this?

40.png
keith2002:
I do my best to practive Lectio Divina as I find it for me the most fruitful form of prayer, but does anyone who practices this have any hints on doing this?
Dear keith2002,

Here is some general information on Lectio:
contemplativeoutreach.org/lectio.htm
At the bottom of the page is a link to a bibliography for lectio presenters.

There is also a brochure I can get from our local Contemplative Outreach group which holds centering prayer/lectio meetings in our diocese spiritual life center, that spells out exactly, step by step, the procedures we use. I’ll try to get a copy of it and scan it or otherwise get it to you.

Here are a couple of other web sites on Lectio that others have posted in other threads:
sentex.net/~jveltri/intro2lectio.html
homepage.mac.com/michaelsbradleyjr/.Public/Catholic/LectioDivina.html

That’s what I have. Maybe I can get more. What sort of “hints” are you looking for? Methods, related reading, etc?

Alan

Keith, some other suggestions you may want to consider:
  • Find a quiet time and place to pray. If you have a family, get up early or do whatever it takes to establish a suitable environment. The place and time will be very sacred for for you.
  • Once you have established a suitable environment, engage in Lectio Divina regularly, daily if possible. Do your best to keep this a consistent practice.
  • If you find yourself distracted, don’t let this dissuade you. Simply recognize the distraction and go back to your prayer.
  • Alan suggested some good links for research; you might also check out the books of Thomas Dubay, S.M. The EWTN web site has some audio programs you can play, if you have suitable sound equipment for your computer:
Prayer Quest:

ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=840549426&T1=thomas+dubay

John of the Cross:

ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=6023&T1=thomas+dubay

Teresa of Avila:

ewtn.com/vondemand/audio/seriessearchprog.asp?seriesID=17&T1=thomas+dubay
  • Do your utmost to live your life in accordance with the Gospel and teachings of our Church (this, though said briefly, is really a lifelong task).
  • As you grow in prayer, you may find the need for spiritual direction.
  • Be prepared for your life to be permanently changed.
Hope you really go for it! Best wishes and peace.

I have always thought that [Apologia (http://www.kensmen.com/catholic/lectiodivina.html) does a nice job of describing Lectio Divina. The following steps are described in helpful detail:
  • statio (position)
  • lectio (reading)
  • meditatio (meditation)
  • oratio (prayer)
  • contemplatio (contemplation)
  • collatio (discussion)
  • actio (action)

What they said.

Do it every day, don’t make excuses to skip it even if only for 15 minutes.

Have a plan ahead of time for what you are going to read, whether it is daily Mass readings, certain book of the bible, guided devotional like Word Among Us or Our Daily Bread.

keep your bible or missal in the same place and always return to that place (unless you have the chance to do it before the Blessed Sacrament, always the best place). When we moved I took care to reserve a spot that is just for me for lectio.

Biggest help for me, a bible I could read, hold comfortable, large enough type, a translation I like. This took a while but was a great help. I use the Ignatius bible studies because I can take the paper backs with me easily when I travel. With arthritis, it is hard for me to hold a big bible or missal. I first read the selection, and study notes, then go back and begin lectio. I also like Magnificat because it is easy to read and travel with, and I always have material for lectio if I find myself with some spare time.

Thanks for this stuff folks…others who might be reading this thread beware. The Apologia site has way too many links to SSPX stuff and much of their content borders on the schismatic. The lectio page looks good though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back