Ho theos John:28?

  • Thread starter Thread starter The_Catholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The_Catholic

Guest
Which Bible version is this from, John 20:28, “The Lord of me and ‘the God’ (greek- Ho theos) of me.”

Is it found in the oldest of translations?

And is it ever translated as “theos” and not “Ho theos?”
 
Here is the oldest version of the text that I can find:

ho is in there. It is meant to be a specific God. Not “Lord and a god”.

(Though some translations would argue whether the article would be necessary, since the statement already strongly implies “the God”. Just as in verse 29 when you find “ho Iasus”, which I have never seen translated “the Jesus”. The definite article is implicit.)

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~pbrimmer/john.jpg
 
Here is the oldest version of the text that I can find:

ho is in there. It is meant to be a specific God. Not “Lord and a god”.

(Though some translations would argue whether the article would be necessary, since the statement already strongly implies “the God”. Just as in verse 29 when you find “ho Iasus”, which I have never seen translated “the Jesus”. The definite article is implicit.)

http://www.physics.ohio-state.edu/~pbrimmer/john.jpg
Thanks.But what version is this from? And is it in the Bible the Jews used in Jesus’ time?
 
Thanks.But what version is this from? And is it in the Bible the Jews used in Jesus’ time?
Forgive my confusion, but what do you mean by “the bible the Jews used…”?

The Gospel of St. John was, I believe, written close to AD 100, by St. John himself. It was written, then, technically, after Jesus’ time. It would not be officially considered canon by the Western Church until AD 382 (though most Church Fathers regarded its inerrancy before that time).

Certainly, The Gospel of St. John was and is not recognized by any non-Messianic Jews as being any part of the Scriptures.

The text I have above was produced in Nestle’s Novum Testamentum Graece, and if you wish, I can try to find out how old that certain passage was. (It appears to come from Uncial 0250, placed AD 150 to AD 300, I believe)
 
OOPS nevermind. The Septuagint is the Old Testament of the Jews in Jesus’ time hehe.

Where is my head? 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top