Holy Childhood Enrollment

• Thread starter Thread starter Timidity
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Timidity

This seemed like the most logical forum for this question. Apologies if it’s not.

I was looking through my beloved spouse’s childhood prayer book this morning, and I noticed up front that there were spaces to write in “important dates”. There were four spaces: baptism, first communion, holy childhood enrollment, and confirmation.

I recognize the three sacraments, of course, but what is “holy childhood enrollment”? I’ve never heard of this before, and a Google search turns up nothing. My BS is old enough to have grown up with a Latin Mass, so my guess is that this is some old practice that has fallen by the wayside.

Anyone know what this is?

The Holy Childhood Association is still active, its apostolate is to foster among children devotion to the infant and child Jesus and to educate children in missionary and evangelization work of the Church. As kids in Catholic school we were enrolled in HCA by saying the prayer to the Child Jesus and pledging to help the missions, and did various fundraisers to raise money to send to help children in mission lands.

They have a poster or writing contest each year for each grade level on a theme related to its apostolate. They provide me some excellent materials for CCD and VBS missions and children in other countries.

40.png
puzzleannie:
As kids in Catholic school we were enrolled in HCA by saying the prayer to the Child Jesus and pledging to help the missions, and did various fundraisers to raise money to send to help children in mission lands.
Wasn’t it through the HCA that we “ransomed” pagan babies? Seems to me that they went for five dollars? :cool:

sounds about right. In my grandkids Catholic school they were collecting to ransom Sudanese children enslaved by Moslem government a couple of years ago. Some things never change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back