Holy Ghost?

• Thread starter Thread starter thechrismyster
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thechrismyster

I’m a bit old fashioned, i still say “Holy Ghost” - anyone else not switch over to “Holy Spirit”?

Just about all my brothers and sisters and father. Me I work with children and the ghost thing and the order of priests I work for broke me of that. Besides spirit sounds like more of the third person of the Blessed Trinity. Ghost has kind of been put in childrens heads as something to be afraid of.🙂

40.png
thechrismyster:
I’m a bit old fashioned, i still say “Holy Ghost” - anyone else not switch over to “Holy Spirit”?
I tend to use both. Both are correct terms to use in reference to the Third Divine Person of the Trinity.

Gerry

“Ghost” has a negative meaning to it in OUR present day and age. Actually Holy SPIRIT is more similar to the ORIGINAL LATIN: Spirituo, Spiriti. Ghost, no, I don’t say this: some things HAD to change, though I am very much traditional. Plus, obedience and uniformity to the CHURCH NOW, and in the present liturgical books, we see SPIRIT as oppossed to “Ghost.” That was fine maybe back in the 1930’s, not now. This is kind of like those certain traditionalists who are STUCK IN ALL THE WAYS in every single thing to the past. I am very traditional, but I believe in ALL THIS POPE’s canonizations, and I don’t have to be CRITICAL OF EVERYTHING. Nor do I despise the novus ordo as some do(those who do seem fanatical) nor do I have to be COLD with everyone, especially with people of other races or ethnic backgrounds just because I am traditionalist. CHARITY MUST ACCOMPANY TRADITION, otherwise it is pharisee-like. “Love thy neighbor as thyself.”(of ALL races, etc).

Yes, in the English language it was ghost, as in “ghostly matters” (ie. spiritual). But the original Greek would say “sacred wind”. (In Japanese “kamikazie”)

:tiphat:

Glad to know that I’m not the only one!

I still say Holy Ghost!

:whacky:

:amen:

I grew up saying “Holy Ghost” (KJV only congregation), but I’ve said “Holy Spirit” for a long time. Funny–in my day I have run into some who believed that using “Holy Spirit” for the third person of the Holy Trinity was a terrible heresy :eek: 😃

DaveBj

Spirit…

It even sounds and feels more “Holy” & Spritual than Ghost.

But to each his own 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back