Holy Hour disaster

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gabbanelli911
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gabbanelli911

Guest
Last night, my wife, my daughter and I attended Holy Mass and right after, Holy Hour service was given. An out of town priest, who has the “gift of healing” was present and the first 20 minutes or so he gave a beautiful talk. Right after that, people started lining up, as if to receive communion and then the out of town priest and the other priest started laying hands on people. The out of town priest was praying and all of a sudden, the people he would lay his hands on, would fall to the floor. My faith is not as strong right now and I found this to be too much for me. My wife got up and went and she too fell to the ground and was on the floor for a couple of minutes. We were sitting right in the front so I was seeing all this in front of me. My wife then got up, with some assistance and went to sit down. I started praying, asking God to increase my faith, so that I would approach this priest with a clear mind, not criticizing him or with a doubtful mind.

I started feeling something in me, maybe God was increasing my faith, but then, my wife told me to go in line and to take my daughter as well. I told my wife that I would go but that I was not ready yet. My wife again told me to go and I told her that I was not ready, that I would go when I felt that I was ready. I could see at this point that my wife was upset because I did not wanted to go. My wife told me again to go and I just did not answer so she told my daughter to go. When my daughter got up, I also got up with her and went to the line. My daughter was in front of me so she was the first when the priest lay hands on her. The priest was praying and praying and all of a sudden my daughter also fell to the floor. When my turn was up, the priest was praying and praying, and the prayers fit me because he was asking God to increase my faith and to remove all doubt from my mind and that I had some talent and he was praying to God for Him to let me use that talent. After a couple of minutes of prayer, he moved to the next person. I did not fall to the floor like everyone else.

After the service, when we were at home, my daughter asked me how come I did not fell to the floor when the priest laid hands on me. I told her that because I was not concentrated because I felt obligated to go, due to my wife’s insistence. My wife immediately became upset and told me that I always ruin everything for her. I told my wife, first of all that I’m having problems with my weak faith and that I was asking God to increase my faith but that she kept interrupting me. Well, she went to bed upset and crying. She woke up this morning and she is still upset at me for being such a bad husband.

Shouldn’t I be the one upset? I know that I must turn the other cheek and everything, but I do not know what I did wrong. Maybe my problem was the way I said it. Instead of coming out feeling all good about this Holy Hour experience, I feel horrible, and to make matters worse, now I have my wife feeling horrible as well. I feel like I just want to give up.

Please pray for my faith.
 
Dude… think on family leadership and respect. Your wife both behaved badly and then acted like a child and continues to do so the next day? She took the lead to the alter and poked you and your daughter multiple time to follow?

I think it would be enormasly helpful to think about the dynamics in your house. Why does she think it is OK to poke you about things of your soul that should be internal to you… boundaries, respect and leadership.
 
To go up to the priest or not to go was 100% your decision. Your wife had no business even bringing it up, let alone making a scene in church and sulking about it later because you did not react the way she wanted. Maybe it’s time for you and your wife to think about a Marriage Encounter and work on your communication skills. P.S. You are not a bad husband; she is not a bad wife, you two just need a little help with your relationship right now
 
Both comments seem to me to be shame based. She felt shame you were not participating and prompted you, but you made a shaming comment towards her as well.

It is not your wife’s concern whether you went up, but it’s not your right to blame her for your action / inaction for the incident you described (or anything else in life btw).

Good luck.
 
Whether you fall down, also called resting in the Spirit, is not a reflection on the strength of your faith or what graces you receive. You and your wife need not concern yourselves about that at least.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top